Monday, August 11, 2014

Productivity & Organization - Friends or Foes?

_0_ days spent writing.
_0_ words added to my MS.
_6_ days reading a good book. 
No writing for me this week. I was down after having a minor surgery so I tried to get caught up on some critique work! Critiquing can be such a fun job. I love reading new books that you know will be on the shelf some day, and you think to yourself... I read that before it was even published! Kind of a neat feeling. 
This week I will be finishing up the second book I'm critiquing, running to soccer games for another tournament, getting family pictures taken with my husbands side of the fam, doing homework, running around fundraiser items, going to cheer and gymnastics lessons, and writing! My goal is to write at least one day this week cause it's a pretty jam packed week.

What I'm working on right now is becoming productive! In order to do that, I have to get myself ORGANIZED!!! I feel like this entire summer has been CHAOS! It's horrible! I am really looking forward to the kids going back to school because it will give me time to accomplish some things. However, I can't blame it all on them. Productivity is still possible when the kids are home... especially if you organize your time! 

A few tips for improved productivity:
  1. Make a schedule
  2. Declutter
  3. Set goals
  4. Reward yourself
  5. Use your time wisely - even moments spent at gymnastics practice and cheer can be spent writing!
  6. Be flexible - if something pops up, don't let it get you down. Roll with it, then get back on track.
What are you working on this week? What are some tips or ideas that help you be more productive?

18 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Prep work is a huge help. Good luck with your goals. I need to do the same thing for me on this edit, so I feel free to do other things--and not guilty as I do now.

Sarah Foster said...

I think making a schedule is a great idea if you can make yourself stick to it...which is one of my problems. Hope you get some writing done this week!

Carrie-Anne said...

I need to work on improving my sleep schedule so I can wake up earlier and get more writing done. Even if I feel I do my best work during the witching hour and graveyard shift, that doesn't mean it's healthy for me to stay up that late and thus wake up later as well.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I need a schedule or I'd never get anything done. More like a routine. Some days almost a rut, but it works.
Critiquing makes us better writers, so reading is just as good.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Life gets busy, sometimes.
Switching up things with the occasional short project can help you feel more productive and accomplished. Writing a story shorter than 200 words, for example, can make you more conscious of word choice in your novel and let you produce a piece within a smaller window of time.

ilima said...

I need to get organized! Good luck, and I hope you feel better. :)

clarbojahn said...

I like using a timer to get things done. If I set it for thirty minutes to clean house, thirty minutes to do social media, thirty minutes to write,etc. I seem to get more done and don't seem to procrastinate as much.

OF course I have that option because I'm not juggling a job and kids like you are. Good luck with your goals, Leigh. :)

Cortney Pearson said...

Why is organization SO HARD??? Great suggestions, though. I seriously struggle. Hope your recovery goes well!
(And yes, it's so fun to see books on the shelf and be like--I know her!)

Crystal Collier said...

Life is so crazy, but I feel like reading is really the key to great writing. I snatch spare moments in the car to read--when I'm stopped at lights or other similar circumstances. Talk about squeezing every second...

Stephanie Faris said...

Ugh. I should have those goals for myself!!! I may be writing a lot of words, but my home is a mess!

Morgan said...

Minor surgery??? Are you okay??? Man, you can't throw that out there and not tell us! :)

Leigh, I love how REAL you are. It's so refreshing and so awesome. Life is chaos. And I love that you show us the REAL you. Time for fall and a little more structure!!!! :)

Tammy Theriault said...

hope your "minor surgery" wasn't all crazy girl! feel better or i'll visit you with chicken soup and laughter. works everytime :D
declutter...got it! I'm also looking forward to school starting. I think the kids are getting tired of each other. haha...

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I just wrote those tips on a notecard- all but #6. I'm already too flexible. Phone rings, I answer. Someone says got a minute (and usually I don't) and I say yes. Then I usually do whatever they need me to. My number six will be- be less flexible.

Editors At Work said...

Great goals. I need to adopt them, too!

Editors At Work said...

Thanks for sharing this great list!

obatstrokeberat said...

I seriously love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you develop this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm trying to create my own site and want to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Cheers!

My blog: http://obatkankeranal.com/

Serba Serbi Kehidupan said...

Gangguan pada vitalitas atau alat vital merupakan sebuah gangguan yang bisa dibilang amat sangat berbahaya, karena selain bisa merusak keharmonisan sebuah hubungan rumah tangga, gangguan pada vitalitas ini pun bisa menyebabkan seseorang tidak akan memiliki keturunan selama hidupnya di dunia. Perlu ada kesadaran untuk mengobati bila gangguan itu kini sedang menerpa anda, namun jangan tunggu juga sampai gangguan-gangguan pada vitalitas ini menghantui anda, lebih baik mencegahnya sejak dini dibandingkan hanya berdiam diri saja. Untuk anda spesial saya tawarkan, berbagai macam jenis obat untuk mengatasi permasalahan penyakit atau pun gangguan lain yang terjadi pada vitalitas anda, silahkan cek di bawah ini :

Obat Impotensi | Obat Gangguan Kesuburan | Obat Disfungsi Seksual | Obat Penambah Gairah | Obat Lemah Syahwat Karena Diabetes | Obat Agar Air Mani Tidak Cepat Keluar | Obat Tahan Lama | Obat Sakit Kencing dan Kencing Tidak Lancar

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Jamu Penambah Nafsu Makan Anak
Obat Herbal Untuk Penurun Panas
Suplemen Herbal Peninggi Badan
Suplemen Untuk Ibu Setelah Melahirkan
Jenis Suplemen Yang Baik Dikonsumsi Ibu Hamil
Suplemen Pencegah Cacat Janin
Suplemen Untuk Ibu Hamil
Suplemen Untuk Kesehatan Janin
Cara Menghilangkan Lemak Ditubuh Dengan Cepat
Suplemen Penguat Daya Ingat