Monday, July 7, 2014

Please Come Kidnap my Inner Editor

Last Monday I had to vent my frustrations, so today we're all about the "POSITIVE!" And my happy moment from this week was getting my Google Friend Connect to work again! Wahoo! I've had some people emailing me that they couldn't get it to work and allow them to follow me so I'm excited to have it up and running... I think! 
_1_ day spent writing. I know... I know! But it was a holiday!
_1600_ words added to my MS. Not a ton, but I finally feel like I've got a grasp on this story and the characters. That always makes me happy.
_3_ moments of euphoria, because I think fireworks should count!
_1_ moment of frustration.
_3_ days reading a good book. I won't count the days I've fallen asleep after one sentence. Gosh, this has been a LONG week!

I have to say, life is looking up. I'm feeling more motivated that I'm MOVING FORWARD! Yes, it's a slow pace, but it sure beats standing still. Sometimes I still feel a little bit like this though...
But who can help it. Plus, I had awesome things like my sons soccer tournament, parades, BBQ's, and fireworks to keep me distracted. I'm okay with that. Fireworks are totally worth it. The 4th of July is easily my favorite holiday.
And this week, I'm hoping to be a little more focused because I had a harder time doing my homework than I did finding time to write. I finished it and everything, but it was all crammed in at the last minute. Not the best approach for a successful grade. And by successful I mean an A!

And that should give you a little insight to part of my writing troubles. Too high of expectations for a FIRST DRAFT! I have the hardest time turning off the inner-editor and just getting the story on the page. It's ridiculous. It's like I want to critique and edit as I go and I don't think that's the best approach for me. Right now I'm working hard to just get the story out and reminding myself that I can and WILL edit LATER!
So, how was your holiday - for those of you who celebrate the 4th? Do you have trouble turning off your inner editor?

9 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

It's great that you got any writing done with the holiday. Important to spend those times with your family.

I am such a slow first draft writer too. I tend to go back and edit too much, which is my favorite part of writing. Hope you have a focused week.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I hear you regarding high expectations for that first draft. But now I know that it's part of my process to go over the page or the scene a time or two before moving on. It's far from perfect and will still need a ton of revision but once I feel it's "good enough," I'm good. :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on the A and getting GFC back. 1600 words is good for only one day of writing.
I have a hard time turning off the inner editor on my first drafts. Probably why I hate writing them so much.

Suzi said...

I don't really have trouble turning off my inner editor. And it really does help keep the words flowing.

Angela Brown said...

Progress forward is progress forward, no matter how fast or slow. The writing journey is a grand jourey, not a sprint, so good on you for productivity.

I had a wonderful 4th at home with family and delicious BBQ. Later in the evening we enjoyed a great fireworks display. So beauiful!

Cortney Pearson said...

I love the 4th, sounds like yours was a blast! And yay for writing-that's more than I got done this week, lol! And hooha for getting As!!! You're amazing, lady! :D

Robin said...

Oh, I've never met someone whose favorite holiday was the 4th. I've met Groundhog's Day and Labor Day, but this is an exciting first for me. I do love those fireworks (and this year none of my kids were afraid of them-hurray).

My problem is I'm good at messy drafting and not so good at editing afterwards. I'm getting better, though:)

Here's to a focused writing week!

Kyra Lennon said...

I love my inner editor lol, it makes the second draft a lot easier! :D

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Jamu Penambah Nafsu Makan Anak
Obat Herbal Untuk Penurun Panas
Suplemen Herbal Peninggi Badan
Suplemen Untuk Ibu Setelah Melahirkan
Jenis Suplemen Yang Baik Dikonsumsi Ibu Hamil
Suplemen Pencegah Cacat Janin
Suplemen Untuk Ibu Hamil
Suplemen Untuk Kesehatan Janin
Cara Menghilangkan Lemak Ditubuh Dengan Cepat
Suplemen Penguat Daya Ingat