Monday, June 9, 2014

Milestones, Vacations, & Dreams!

 1      Days spent WRITING, plotting, developing character, editing, etc.
1500  Words written.
 1   Moment of euphoria.
0   Moment of frustration overcome.
3   Days spent reading a good book.

It was obviously a SLOW week for writing. Let's blame that on the vacation! I brought my iPad and everything, but there was no time for anything but FUN on this trip! And by the time I finally did make it into the hotel room, I crashed and burned from exhaustion! But... ONE day is better than ZERO days, so I will give myself that little bit of credit.

Before I tell you about my trip, let me tell you why it was extra exciting for me. Ever since I was about 15, we've gone to Zion National Park (UT), or Mesquite NV for little trips. And every time I find postcards with pictures like this
 and who wouldn't want to go to this place, right?
So, I finally figured out that this is Arches National Park in south eastern Utah, near Moab, and I desperately wanted to make plans to go there. I've also always wanted to visit Moab because of the fantastic scenery and wonderful outdoor experiences available.

FOURTEEN years later... I went! Yes, this is where I spent the last 4 days; 4-wheeling, hiking, and checking out Arches National Park! It was fantastic and beautiful, and absolutely exhausting! I loved every minute of it. There was also a half marathon down there that my brother and his wife were doing event pictures for (Aktiva Photography) and I got to help shoot the race! Another awesome experience!
4-Wheeling on Onion Creek Trail

First ride the night we arrived to see Gemini Bridges.

The ride back on Onion Creek Trail - GORGEOUS!
Me up bright and early, ready to get some photos of those awesome people who run! (Yes, I'm so envious of them!)

SUNRISE! Watching the sun come up, while the race begins! If I was going to be a runner, this is scenery I would thoroughly enjoy!

Coming out of Arches National Park around sunset, with a few clouds and small storm coming in.
The point? I FINALLY got to check off something on my "dream list" or "bucket list." That is exciting! Not to mention that I truly loved it! I wish the pictures did it more justice, but I still don't have all of my pictures downloaded, and I don't think they would do it justice anyway. Plus, I added something else to my "dream list," (besides writing and publishing a book, of course) and that is to visit Canyonlands National Park! The place looks amazing and is also near Moab and Arches so I could visit there again too!

How is your writing going? What is on your "dream list?"

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amazing photos! Heck with writing - glad you just enjoyed the scenery.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

You're absolutely right regarding one day of writing is better than zero days of writing. And those pics are gorgeous!

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Stephanie Faris said...

That looks so cool! My dream is to go out west and really spend some time. I've been to L.A. and loved it...but I didn't get to see San Francisco or the Grand Canyon.

ilima said...

Looks like you had a great time! I really want to go to London. :)

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

It looks beautiful. I think going to different places really opens up things as a writer. You now have the option of setting a story there filled with accurate detail.

I'm glad you had fun!

Jessie Humphries said...

Wow, what a great family vacation! I've been there a few times and absolutely loved it as well. Hmmm, I better think some more about a dream list. We are doing vision boards tonight, so maybe I need to get a travel magazine and brainstorm. :)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

The photos look great. Congrats on making a dream come true Leigh!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Love your pictures! Zions and Moab. Two of the most beautiful places on the planet, imho.

Swing Vote is set in an imaginary town off the Green River in that area. I'm going to have to take a research trip. :D

Natalie Aguirre said...

I wouldn't even try to write on vacation. Just enjoy visiting somewhere you've been dreaming of. Loved the pictures.

Tammy Theriault said...

Oh my I wish I snuck in your bag and went!! Looks like fun. Been there before but didn't have as much fun as you did!! Congrats with writing milestones!!

Kyra Lennon said...

How very cool! But, you know you're not SUPPOSED to write on vacation! :p

Angela Brown said...

I'm totally with Kyra. You were on vacation. Writing is great and all, ove it to bits. So i commend you for getting anything writing-related done at all :-)

Robin said...

Way to hit your bucket list item. I've only been to Arches once, but it was a great trip. No 4-wheeling though. #nexttime. I consider any writing done on vacation a bonus, so you're a star in my book:)

Nicole said...

Awesome pics! That ATVing looks like a blast. Arches is the inspiration for one of the scenes in my space opera, and I hope to get back there some day. :)

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Suplemen Pelangsing Herbal
Suplemen Peremajaan Kulit
Obat Herbal Penyakit Gastritis
Obat Herbal Patah Tulang
Jenis Suplemen Yang Baik Dikonsumsi Ibu Hamil
Suplemen Kesehatan Tulang
Obat Tradisional Penurun Kolesterol
Suplemen Penurun Kolesterol Dalam Darah
Suplemen Penurun Kolesterol Tinggi
Green World Blueberry Concentrate