Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What Do Books & Hair Have in Common?

Weird topic for the day? Maybe.

But I hang in there while I make my point. 

I recently colored my hair - again. I do this often, because honestly... I get bored. I used to change my hair up a lot more, but now I try to reign it in a bit so the elementary students I work with don't get completely distracted by my newest hair color.

You should hear the commotion when they come into the classroom or see me in the halls! All I did was go dark..er! Can you imagine if I went purple? ... or pink? These kids have no idea how mellow I'm being!

But, as many of you know, young kids are what we like to call... brutally honest!
I know you know what I'm talking about. They haven't quite figured out how to "put things nicely."

So what happened when I changed my hair? Most of the kids... "Oh! It's so pretty!", "I love it!" "You look so beautiful!" One 6th grade girl even made tiger claws and growled at me. LOL. This of course, all after they asked me if I dyed my hair. LOL. Obviously!

But then there are others. One girls looked at me for a minute, her deep thinker cap on, then said, "I like it better the other way." Or another one who cringed and said..."Why'd you do that?"

THE POINT: You can NEVER make EVERYONE happy!
 
I know you're saying, "Thanks for the happy thought, Leigh!", but you know it's true. And the sooner we come to terms with that, the better we are. Does that mean the bad reviews don't hurt? No. They suck. But there is always going to be someone out there who finds something to gripe about. Don't let them steal your momentum or your belief in yourself. Keep moving forward being proud of your work! Look at all the fantastic reviews and people who were touched by your writing! Those are people who needed to read that story. For whatever reason, you connected with them, and those are the people that matter. Not to mention - YOU!!!! Of course, we want our readers to be happy, but we write because we love it! So keep writing! Keep doing what you love and brush off the negative!
The meaning of life is to find your gift.
The purpose of life is to give it away.
- William Shakespeare
Ever had this happen to you? How do you deal with it? Any words of wisdom to share?

25 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

That is so true. It's all so subjective. And that's why I don't do reviews on books I didn't like.

David P. King said...

So if someone complains about my writing (or something about it wasn't working for them), I can say I had a bad hair day when I wrote that passage? Sweet! :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I whine to all the fabulous people who i know will love and support me.

I once watched adults yell taunts at my son's high school football team as they were losing the state championship. Mean, cruel words directed at teenage boys. Bottom line? Mean people are everywhere and we asked to be in the public eye, so we are a target. It never feels good, but it's part of life.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is so true! And we can't worry about those we don't please.
Your kids might think purple was cool. Principal, not so much...

Kyra Lennon said...

Lol, did you see my Facebook post yesterday?!

This is so true, and I absolutely agree with you - but sometimes whining makes me feel better! :p

ilima said...

So true, and something I have to remind myself often.

Editors At Work said...

Your post is true. Reading is subjective. Every genre has its own readers.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Very good post.
It reminds us all: Write what you love, don't chase a trend. There is no pleasing everyone so you might as well like what you put so much time into.

Kristin Smith said...

Hi Leigh! Great post! I'm still in the stages of getting my books published, so I haven't felt this yet, but it is great to remember that you can't please everyone. In the end, if you love what you wrote, then that's all that matters.

I see you're reading Killing Ruby Rose. Do you know if that Amazon Prime member deal is still going on? Jessie is a friend of my sister who also lives in Vegas. :)

Angela Cothran said...

Amen!

Suzi said...

That is so true, but I bet when that time comes with my novels, it'll be hard to hear that 'disagreement' about it's greatness. ;)

I love how kids can be so refreshing like that... Most of the time.

Erick Armstrong said...

What a great read! It’s true that you'll never pleased everyone, but you have all the chances to please yourself. Never waste every moment you have to save yourself from a boring routine. Hehe! Kidding aside, I hope you posted a photo of your new hair. Can I see it? Thanks! :)

Erick Armstrong

Coleen Patrick said...

So, so true! And sometimes it can be difficult to turn focus away from those negative comments! But you're right, great advice. :)

Leslie S. Rose said...

Perfect analogy. I teach 5th grade, and I'm always nervous after getting my hair done. The kids will tell it like it is. They've also busted me on some clothes. "Purple pants, really Ms. Rose!"

Deana said...

Truer words have never been spoken:) I'm sure your hair if beautiful too!

K.A. Parkinson said...

So true! It's so easy to let what other people say make us doubt ourselves and want to bury our heads under the covers and not come out, but everyone has a different opinion and it's good to get out for those who you will touch. I'm copying the Shakespeare quote and adding it to another one of his I have hanging up, "Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." Thanks Leigh!

Tammy Theriault said...

I saw your hair and I love it!! you win some you lose some but what makes you feel good is the cream on top!

Editors At Work said...

Great comparison. Yes, reading is subjective. You simply can't please everyone.

Nas

Trisha F said...

So true that you can never make everyone happy. That's why when it comes to writing, at least, I do what I like to do, and just try to make the actual writing quality good. :P

shimaa shaker said...

تنظيف بالرياضa
شركات نظافة بالرياضa
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
افضل تنظيف بالرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
تنظيف بالرياض
شركات نظافة بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
افضل تنظيف بالرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
تنظيف بيارات بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف منازل بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
تنظيف مسابح بالرياض

shimaa shaker said...

تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
عزل اسطح بالرياض
تنظيف بالرياض
رش مبيدات بالرياض
تخزين اثاث بالرياض
زهرة نقل اثاث بالرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
عزل خزانات بالرياض
جلي بلاط بالرياض
تخزين اثاث بالرياض
تنظيف منازل بالرياض
مكافحة حشرات
مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
تخزين اثاث بالرياض

shimaa shaker said...

تسليك مجاري الرياض
كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
تسليك مجارى بالرياض
تنظيف بيارات بالرياض
عزل خزانات بالرياض
عزل اسطح بالرياض
تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
تخزين عفش بالرياض
رش مبيدات بالرياض
مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة
تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
نقل أثاث جدة
تسليك مجاري بالدمام
عزل خزانات بالدمام
نقل أثاث بالمدينة
عزل خزانات بالرياض
تنظيف خزانات بجده

shimaa shaker said...

تنظيف خزانات بالخرج
عزل خزانات بالدمام
نقل أثاث بالدمام
تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف شقق بالرياض
تنظيف منازل بالرياض
احسن تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شفط بيارات الرياض
كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركات تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
افضل تنظيف خزانات بالرياض

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Nutrisi Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Toko Obat Herbal Online
Suplemen Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Obat Herbal Pengencang Payudara Tanpa Efek Samping
Suplemen Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Herbal Penyubur Sperma
Obat Herbal Penambah Nafsu Makan
Suplemen Herbal Untuk Tulang
Cara Mengatasi Kemandulan Untuk Pria Dan Wanita
Obat Herbal Kejang-Kejang Pada Anak

roba gad said...


http://mchaabaty.com/templates/
http://mchaabaty.com/riyadh/
http://mchaabaty.com/stone/
http://mchaabaty.com/heritage/
https://decor-ksa.com/doors-gallery/
https://decor-ksa.com/windows-gallery/
https://decor-ksa.com/railings-staircase-gallery/