Monday, August 19, 2013

Frustrated Much?

My journey of frustration has lead to some important insights. 
Last year, I started a job. It was only part-time but felt like full time. Trying to learn to balance that with my job as a mother and wife, as well as church duties and writing was difficult. About the time I figured it out, I decided to go back to school!

Brilliant, right?

Maybe. But once again it put me on the frustration roller coaster of trying to find the balance between work, school, being a super-mom, fantastic wife, and wonderful daughter and sister and well as complete any church callings or anything else above and beyond all expectation.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

First thing to remember is: PRIORITIES! You can't be perfect at everything, especially when you're doing so much. Okay, maybe you can, but I make an epic fail and risk my sanity. 

Second thing to remember is: ORGANIZATION and PLANNING go a long way! After you know your priorities, make yourself a schedule and stick to it. Yes, surprises happen, but you can work it out if you're organized. 
I've also come to realize that I don't have to make leaps and bounds in my writing each day. What matters is that I keep moving forward. That I find a little time each day to add a little more to my WIP. I may not finish it as quickly as I want, but I find that getting bits and pieces done each day makes me realize that work IS still getting DONE! It's a great feeling and a great motivation! 
Maybe you're not completing a book each week, but who does? Okay, maybe a few people can pull that off, but not most of us and THAT'S OK! What's important is that we keep progressing, keep learning and write those two beautiful words: The End! What a sense of accomplishment when those words are written. And it doesn't matter if it's a first draft and there's still editing to do, you wrote the story you were meant to write and you FINISHED it!
So, if you've hit a bit of frustration. Take a deep breath, put it behind you and keep working! Keep trying! Take another shot! Never give up on your dreams and NEVER give up on YOURSELF!

And MOSTLY REMEMBER: We are all different. We all have different things going on in our lives. We learn differently, we work differently, and we write differently. Embrace who YOU are and find what works for you, then stick with it!

Have you figured out a routine that works best for you? Any tips to share for others? How's your current book coming along?


23 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm learning I need to step back sometimes and take a good look at what I'm doing and ask myself WHY am I doing it. Sometimes we just do the same stuff over and over without stopping to think we could, maybe should, do things differently, forge a new path, pick a new road, etc.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Can so relate to this. With work, a busy daughter to support, a house to take care of, and volunteer duties associated with my daughter's swimming, and like you, going to start a class for a new job search next year, I have to accept my writing is SLOW right now. But I'm doing all I can do and I can't do more. So it's okay. Thanks for reminding me that's okay.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I love your post. Frustration can make us grumpty, too, which impacts our relationships with those things that are at the top of our priority lists.

Those quotes totally rock. I'm stealing. lol!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've learned that I can't do it all, which is why I've scaled back on some things.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Glad you won't let frustration get you down. Just keep on keeping on Leigh.

Laura Marcella said...

I've always liked routine, and I have one that works for me. I have to change it every now and then though! Sometimes I get stuck in a rut. A different routine helps things feel fresh, new, and challenging again.

Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I'm definitely a 'write a little bit whenever I can' person. And I don't write every day. Some days just don't allow for it. But somehow it all gets done eventually. :)

Jessie Humphries said...

Yes, priorities! I got to get some of those :) Writing has been slow but then really fast and then really slow again. It's a cycle.

S.P. Bowers said...

We can only do what we can do and as you said we need to prioritize. I'm a pretty slow writer, which can be frustrating if I compare myself to others. But, as you said, just a little each day, just keep moving forward. After all, moving in the right direction is what's important.

ilima said...

Thanks, I needed this. I've really got to get over not getting as much done as I'd hoped and focusing this week.

Charlie Holmberg said...

My routine is pretty easy right now since I'm working from home, and it's not hard work. Once the baby comes, though, I'll have to figure out a schedule!

Melissa said...

I'm getting there. The kids going back to school will help.

Great post! :)

Patricia T. said...

I have a routine. If I'm not writing, I am reviewing a book -- so that is still writing. Haven't been inspired as much lately. The three manuscripts I have out keep coming back with suggestions, so I find myself revising more than writing something new. Guess we all have to find our way. But, am grateful the kids are grown.

clarbojahn said...

I'm not accomplishing the goals I set out to when I first went on blog break but I've gotten so many other things done that I've forgiven myself.

You said it all in "Priorities". We make them each day.

thanks for this post, Leigh!

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Most definitely good advice. One foot in front of the other gets you where you're going.

Coleen Patrick said...

I love that camera quote! So true! I feel like I'm heading in the right direction--most of the time. But then I will have those moments where I get all mixed up, usually happens when I'm focusing on something that truly is not important to me. I often have to remind myself of my priorities. :)

Peaches Ledwidge said...

I have not met some of my deadlines, but I now write when I can and try to work on my other goals one step at a time.

Nicole said...

I'm with Alex - I've learned I can't do it all, and now I'm in the mode of re-focusing on priorities. I'm pretty good at being super organized so I can squeeze in writing...I just wish it wasn't always a squeeze.

K.A. Parkinson said...

You are so amazing Leigh! I love your quotes and I totally agree. I've been rearranging my priorities and I finally hope I have a doable schedule for the school year. I've done a horrible job sticking to it this summer. An agent has my current MSS and I'm waiting for the conference call to be scheduled so she can tell me if she likes it as much as her intern did. I'm afraid the nerves of anticipation have left me uninspired to work on anything. But I'm planning a scheduled time like a job while my kids are at school so it will stay up on my list and tell myself not to think about anything but loving to write. Priorities ahhh:)

Tammy Theriault said...

i'm gonna still go with my words on fb...someone out there is waiting on you, and by the way, you gotta stop putting such cute pics of you up!!

prioritie for me change as they change, because with a partridge family it's just bound to!

Tara Tyler said...

love all your advice & esp the quotes!
put things in perspective, baby!

happy friday!

Suzi said...

I don't think anyone is perfect in everything they do. Some people appear that way, but we've got to remember, we don't always see the whole picture.

You are doing a lot and you should be proud for yourself, and hopefully you're taking that me time every once in a while.

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Pelangsing Tanpa Ketergantungan
Suplemen Penurun Berat Badan Tanpa Efek Samping
Obat Herbal Penurun Kolesterol
Obat Alami Sesak Nafas
Penyebab Kemandulan dan Cara Mengatasinya
Obat Pelancar Peredaran Darah
Cara Mengobati Impoten
Cream Jerawat Herbal Alami
Obat Herbal Paling Ampuh Untuk Atasi Kemandulan