Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Long Live Imagination

Don't you love the art of using your imagination? If you don't then you probably shouldn't be a writer. I couldn't help but smile as I watched this commercial; 1- because I love photography and often find myself doing this same sort of thing to get a good picture, and 2- because it reminds me so much about WRITING! Don't we have to twist and turn and put ourselves in unimaginable places to try and figure out exactly how we're going to show the reader the things that are going through our head, or the way our character is feeling, or what they're experiencing?  These kinds of things are not easy. 
They take practice...
          and effort.
It is our job to relish the challenge (sometimes easier than others), but part of the excitement is when you succeed at getting that beautiful shot - creating that beautiful scene - sharing an emotion that the reader responds to.

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
― Albert Einstein

So, if today finds you frustrated as you try to capture something beautiful in your writing, don't let it get to you. Keep working. Keep writing. And eventually you'll get what you've been waiting for.



And congrats to 
Rachel Schieffelbein
on the release of her book
SECONDARY CHARACTERS!

*cheers!*

You can find her book
Amazon
and here
Barnes and Noble
and on Goodreads.



And last, but certainly not least - a bunch of us are trying to spread the word for a Donation Bomb to help Ben Wolverton, son of author, David Farland. If you could help spread the word it would be greatly appreciated, and there are prizes for those who help! GO HERE for more information!

24 comments:

Brinda said...

Imagination is crucial for the writer. You can know all the best writting tips in the world, but it won't mean a thing without imagination.

Secondary Characters sounds like a terrifc read.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Leigh! I loved the video, loved that we got to see the shots at the end. I was getting all emotional about it, and imagination, then I scrolled down and saw my cover! Oh! Thanks so much for sharing!

Michael Offutt, "Johnny on the Spot" said...

You could be a writer without an imagination. You just write non-fiction.

ilima said...

I really needed this post. Sometimes writing is so hard. I've struggled for days to get this one scene right. Deleting and adding and writing a whole lot of crap. But then yesterday it all came together and I started to cry. I know, what a dork. But I got that beautiful shot and it was worth all the trouble in the end. Hopefully my readers will get it too. :)

Morgan said...

Wonderful post, Leigh! You're so brilliant and spot on. And I love what you're doing for Ben. That poor sweet family :/

Elizabeth Seckman said...

That is such a cute video! Thanks for sharing...I hadn't seen it!

Congrats to Rachel! I'm reading the story now...as an official Swoon review. Aren't I special?

Carrie-Anne said...

I had an overactive imagination in regards to what I wrote in elementary school and junior high, which always annoyed and concerned my mother. All these years later, even with adult hindsight, I still don't know what she was on about. Of course a child is going to have a wild imagination and think crazy things are possible. That doesn't mean she needs to stop writing about that and write more mundane stories! Good books need imagination.

S.P. Bowers said...

Imagination is so important. I try to let my kids exercise theirs as much as possible, despite how crazy they can be sometimes.

J. A. Bennett said...

Imagination is a beautiful thing, I cherish mine dearly. Very cool commercial :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Einstein was very wise.
Congratulations to Rachel!

Donna K. Weaver said...

What a wonderful quote!

Margo Berendsen said...

That Einstein quote is one of my favorites! Long live imagination.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing the inspiration. I could really use it today.

Cortney Pearson said...

Genius!! (You, not Einstein--although we all know he was too lol.) You have it so right, imagination is crucial. I know I wish I could go back to being a kid sometimes just for that reason, but I guess that's the benefit of being a writer too! And congrats to Rachel!!

Julia Hones said...

I love Einstein's quote. Your post made me smile. So true. I will check that website and see how I can help. Thanks.

Patricia T. said...

Love Einstein's quote -- another blogger posted the same quote a few days ago.

Melissa said...

Wow! I've been gone longer than I thought. I love the new blog and the new pic!

Congrats, Rachel! :D

Melissa Hurst said...

I'm glad you posted that quote. I've never heard it before, but it's so true! :)

Laura Marcella said...

The Nation of Imagine is my favorite place to visit!!

Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

Coleen Patrick said...

Love that quote--and that video? Oh I'm laughing, that would be me chasing that giraffe!!!! :)

Nicole said...

This is a post after my own heart! I honestly don't know what I'd do without my imagination. Life would be so boring. ;)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Leigh - love the commercial ... thankfully my mind doesn't quite work like that .. but I'm creative enough - and as Nicole says life would be boring with out imagination.

Cheers Hilary

Gina Gao said...

The commercial was great! Imagination is crucial to any great writer.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Mengobati Alami Nyeri Sendi
Krim Jerawat Terbaik
Obat Alami Sakit Maag Kronis
Obat Sakit Tenggorokan Berkepanjangan
Obat Membersihkan Rahim Kotor Tanpa Kuret
Cara Mengatasi Gigi Berlubang
Obat Herbal Katup Jantung Bermasalah
Obat Herbal Untuk Penyakit Kanker Serviks
Cara Mencegah Penyempitan Pembuluh Darah Jantung
Obat Alami Radang Usus Besar