Monday, March 11, 2013

Break From You & Rebecca Green Gasper ~

Happy Monday! I hope you all had a great weekend. I have a very special guest with us today. She has been gracious enough to come visit and share a little about herself and her debut novel, break from you. One thing I like about Rebecca is that she likes to tackle the "tough subjects" through her writing. We get into this during our little chat, so pull up a chair and check this out! 

Howdy Rebecca! Thanks so much for joining me today!
Hi Leigh! Thank you so much for having me on your blog. I am so excited to be here and chat with you! How are you doing?

I just baked a batch of lemon bars that were oh-so-delicious, so I am doing good! I have a few questions to ask you, so I'm just going to jump right in.

1.      In 30 words or less, tell us a little about yourself.
I love pinwheels, bright colors, daisies, long talks with friends, and time with my family. I’m outgoing – not at all shy. And it goes without saying, I love to write.  (That was 30 exactly!)

2. Your debut novel, Break From You, is now available! Give us a brief synopsis of what this book is about.
Break From You is an emotional story about a seventeen year old girl’s journey through an abusive relationship. Here’s the (agonized over and dreaded) log line: When Brooke Myers’ finds herself falling for the boy who saved her from a burning building the night of homecoming, she is forced to reevaluate her relationship with her abusive boyfriend and face the ghosts in her past.

3. On your about me page, I can tell that you are passionate about writing about “tough topics.”  What inspired your current novel?
Well, the idea for Break From You came from a dream about a fire, a cowboy, and another element I can’t tell you about without spoiling the story. I ended up sitting on the idea for a while. After a few chats with some friends and hours of research, I learned about the prevalence of teen dating abuse and knew that was the direction I wanted the story to go. Most of my stories have elements of tough issues in them. I think it is very important to talk and to raise awareness. However, it is very hard to even start the conversation about these types of issues, let alone have a deep discussion about them, so what better way to starting talking than through a good book or movie?

4. You’ve been doing a lot to raise awareness for Dating Violence. Are there certain website that people can go to for help? What is the best thing for someone to do who is trapped in a violent relationship?
It is important to get help. The best thing for someone to do is make sure she does not isolate herself. If she is planning on breaking up with her partner, she needs to make sure she is in a very public area and not alone with him. She needs to go to a trusted adult or friend and get in touch with a trusted organization. These organizations have professionally trained staff to listen, understand, and help. One of the best organizations for more information or to get help is Loveisrespect.org. Anyone can visit their website or text “loveis” to 77054 (Note: I used the pronoun “she” however, it is important to know that anyone can be a victim of dating abuse, including boys.)           

Rebecca, thank you so much, for sharing a bit about your book and dating violence with us. I think it’s important to raise awareness for things like this and I appreciate you being willing to talk about this with us today. Thank you again for having me! It is an honor to be here today and raise awareness on teen dating abuse. It is so important to stand up and speak out.  

Now, just to lighten things up how about a few popcorn questions?  
Yay! This should be loads of fun!

Yep! This is the fun part!

Twitter or Facebook? I love twitter because I love to chat with people and twitter is perfect for that.

Chocolate or Popcorn? Popcorn. (Sadly, I have a lot of food allergies and Chocolate happens to be one of them)
My heart is broken for you. I'd die without chocolate, but popcorn is yummy too!

Night Owl or Early Bird? Night owl! My rule is to never get up before the sun.

Snow or Sunshine? The sun! Although I don’t hate the snow- I just like the sun more.

Oceans or Mountains? Mountains! I am a Colorado mountain girl through and through!

Okay- now your turn…twitter or facebook? Chocolate or popcorn? Night or morning? Snow or Sun? and Ocean or mountains?
LOL! Oh goodness, you're turning the tables on me! Okay... here goes:
Facebook
Chocolate
Night
Sun - FOR SURE!
and Mountains, all the way! 

Thanks again for being here Rebecca! It's been a great visit! I hope that our visitors are about to use the great information you have shared. 

Now, if you would like to find out more about Rebecca and her book, break from you, you can use the following links!


Book on Goodreads

28 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

First off, Leigh, can I have a lemon bar? I love lemon bars. :D

Love the cover, Rebecca. Those are the types of stories I love to read and write. Congrats with your book release.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Good for you, Rebecca. Tough subjects are . . . tough but that doesn't mean they aren't important to talk about.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Love the cover. I'm a wish flower junkie. What a great topic. Teen relationship abuse needs more attention, glad you decided to focus on it.

Melissa said...

Good for you for writing about this topic. Best of luck.

Suzi said...

Oh chocolate allergies. That would suck. Of course it'd be good for your body to not eat it.

Love the dandelion on the cover. Makes me think of summer, which unfortunately isn't that close yet.

J. A. Bennett said...

So fun! Sounds like a great book :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Rebecca has done a lot to raise awareness!
And always pick mountains.

ilima said...

Pretty cover. And hurray for night owls! :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thank you so much, Leigh for hosting me on your site today! I had so much fun with the interview and am always up for raising awareness on teen dating abuse. :)

Thank you also, to everyone who stopped by and commented. And thank you for the well wishes of support. You are all wonderful! :)

Jessie Humphries said...

I like the tough subjects. They can be very powerful. Thanks for sharing.

Rena said...

Beautiful cover and great interview ladies!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Leigh and Rebecca,
I imagine that writing about the issues you do must be challenging. Good job on creating awareness through your writing.

Nicole said...

Lovely interview, ladies! Rebecca, congrats on the book.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Congrats and nice interview

Coleen Patrick said...

Break from You looks and sounds great. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing, speaking of sharing...any lemon bars left?? :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks everyone! :)

Trisha F said...

I love all lemony things like lemon tarts, lemon meringue, etc. Oh gosh do I ever! But i've never had a lemon bar. I want one!

I think it's so important to bring the big issues to the fore in fiction.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Sounds good! I love the cover! I also love lemon bars :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like an awesome book, Rebecca. Congrats!

Kathryn Purdie said...

Great to get to know Rebecca more. Sounds like an important book--and a great read! (And, go, mountain girls!)

Jenny S. Morris said...

Love that cover! And the books sounds amazing!

Angela Cothran said...

Fun interview :) I think I would still eat chocolate if I was allergic. I'm addicted. And I also love the book cover.

Miss you Leigh :)

Pk Hrezo said...

Love when books have a message.

I'm a mountains AND ocean kinda girl--Hawaii, please! :D

Mark Noce said...

Great interview:) The more I hear the more I like it:)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone! :) Love all the support and well wishes.

@Kathryn- I agree go- mountain girls!
@Pk- Although as long as I had my mountains...I'm sure I'd enjoy the ocean, too. Hawaii does sound amazing!

Best to everyone! (And thanks again to Leigh for hosting me!)

David P. King said...

Been seeing this book all over the place. Awesome interview, you two! My wife has tried to turn me into a night owl. Resistance is futile, but I still try. :)

Susan Oloier said...

Lovely interview! I am so proud of everything Rebecca is doing. I am one of the lucky recipients of those long phone conversations! I love them! And I cannot recommend Break from You enough. It is an incredible novel.

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Penyakit Liver Ampuh
Obat Herbal Sakit Payudara Bengkak
Obat Kejang Perut
Obat Asma Tradisional
Obat Darah Rendah Alami
Obat Pelangsing Perut
Obat Penyakit Gula Darah Tinggi
Obat Herbal Kanker Otak Terbaik
Obat Herbal Kadar Gula Darah Rendah
Pengobatan Penyakit Radang Usus Buntu