Friday, June 29, 2012

Experience VS Knowledge

I know I've been slow in the blogging world. Life has been hectic. One thing that has occupied my attention has been finding a job. NOT.FUN!

Let me be honest for a moment. I know the economy is bad. I hear it on the news all the time. I see the stores closing all the time. However, it hasn't impacted me personally until now. Job competition is FIERCE! Extremely fierce! In fact, I've only been called in for ONE interview and I have about 50 resumes out. For this one interview, the job was only public for about 24 hours. In that time, the manager had two days of consecutive interviews set up, back to back! Yes, half hour interviews. WOW. I know this because I know the guy. I used to work for this company about 12 years ago, before I was a mom. That might give me a little edge - or so I thought. But that is a LOT of competition for one little job. Can you say humbling? Or scary? Or frustrating? It's all of the above!

The Point - This applies to our characters as well. At some point in the story our character know about something or someone. This probably creates a feeling of nervousness or fear. But what makes our characters great is when they are thrown right in front of this knowledge. 

When knowledge becomes EXPERIENCE!

This creates excitement, fear, suspense, emotion! --- for both our readers AND our characters. These are what make our characters great. To see how they learn and grow through EXPERIENCE. When it is no longer just a rumor or knowledge. No longer a feeling but something they have to encounter and face.

Another Point - This is the same with us! We spend so much time, writing, networking, and attending conferences so we can become better at what we do. We keep practicing and increasing our knowledge. If we persevere... all that hard work is going to turn into publication, which = EXPERIENCE! (or at least a new kind of experience) One day you'll have the insiders perspective of the publishing world! One day you'll be the one planning launch parties and signings! One day you'll be teaching at a conference! It can be intimidating. Or, so I hear! *grins*

But without EXPERIENCE we don't get to grow. 
Experience makes us the person we dream about being!

What do you think? Please add something! I could go on & on, but I'm one for shorter blog posts! *holds up a glass of ice cold milk* "Here's to experience! May we all experience it in it's best form!"

23 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Good luck with the job hunt!!

Experience, I think, is the one thing that makes all the challenges in our lives seem worthwhile. :)

elizabeth seckman said...

It's like the saying, "I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand."
That sum it up?

Nick Wilford said...

Best of luck with the job hunt! It's tough times indeed.

You're right, I don't think we are fully qualified to talk about something until we've experienced it. Like a lot of people talk about writing. But they don't actually know what it's like unless they do it.

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey,

Best of luck with the job search - and whomever is lucky to hire you will be blessed to have you :)

Re. knowledge v experience... you are right on the money.

The way I look at my writing is that every post, comment, reply is *all* to make me a stronger writer.

As Morg would say:

Knowledge. Equals. Experience. Yes!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

One of the things I love about writing is that, if we're lucky, we never stop learning, growing, improving. Everything we do for our craft, whether we succeed or not, is a bit of experienced gained. Or so say the stack of manuscripts sitting in my closet. :)

Good luck with the job search!

Suzi said...

Just like any other job, gaining that experience takes time. IWe wish it could happen in a snap, but we gotta remember that it doesn't. And the reward will be great when we get there.

S.P. Bowers said...

Good luck with the Job hunt!

Experiencing something helps us understand it at a different level than just hearing or reading about it. Not that those are bad, I do believe they help, but experience brings it home.

Rachel said...

I feel the same way, re: the job hunt. I just graduated college and it seems freakin hopeless. yet my friends are getting jobs so there must be something for me.

I also agree that experience=knowledge for our characters. But I also think it can mean misinterpreted knowledge too, depending on the situation/character. :)

Julia King said...

Experience is what keeps the world going around. When I started writing, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Now, 2.5 years later, I have a wealth of knowledge that is making my writing journey all the more enjoyable and faster.

Great post! And good luck with finding a job. You can do it!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Experience is interesting because the more experience a person has, the more knowledge they have which means they can get more experience and knowledge, but always realize there is still more to acquire. That is why every session I went to at Storymakers had multiple published authors in attendance. They know they need to know more.

Jenny Morris said...

Ugh, looking for a job is so hard. Good luck!!!! And can I have some cookies? Maybe I'll go steal some of Peggy's.

Have a great weekend.

Tara Tyler said...

exactly, experiencing things first hand is definitely more intense than just knowing about it.

i feel terrible for those in colorado right now, but i have no idea how bad it really is. i can only imagine...

Lara Schiffbauer said...

I agree! But I usually do with your posts, huh? The only think is that I kind of see it backwards - with the experience of writing, we gain more and more knowledge about the craft of writing and so get closer and closer to publication. Personally, I'm for whatever works! ;0)

Julia Hones said...

Good luck with your search, Leigh! The emotions and experiences you are going through now will be special material for your writing. Best of luck.

Medeia Sharif said...

Good luck with the job search.

I love gaining experience over the years. I find that every year I gain insight into writing and things become a bit easier since I have experience behind me, plus I'm more knowledgeable. For example, I find it easier to plan and write drafts.

Angela Brown said...

Crossing my fingers as you continue your search for a job.

You touched on some very important points. We do all these writerly things: meeting online, scurrying from conference to workshop to gathering, critiquing and learning...increasing our knowledge. All to eventually get to the place where we can gain experience.

clarbojahn said...

I lost my last comment but I think it's a positive that you found some knowledge about writing for characters in your unfortunate jobless situation. Way to go!

Good luck!

Charlie Holmberg said...

Job hunting is going hard on my end too--granted, I can't blame too much on the economy, given that I'm moving to a super small town. Much luck to all that (and way to analogy!).

And yes, I'm from UT! I wanted to go to that Cheesecake Factory dealio, but something (can't remember what...) came up and I couldn't attend! So if you do another in the next month, before I ship out to ID, let me know! :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Well said. We must keep learning and stay fresh.

Talli Roland said...

Good luck with the job hunt! Experience is the best. I can't think of anything better to guide our choices in life.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I heard an interview once about all the skills a stay at home mom has to use everyday and how they would translate to a salary. We're talking fortune 500. Sending you good vibes for your job hunting.

J.L. Campbell said...

I hope you find work sooner, rather than later.

Yep, all our experiences keep moving us towards different and more rewarding opportunities.

Adeeva Afsheen said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Penyumbatan Pembuluh Darah
Obat Gangguan Fungsi Ginjal Pada Pria Dan Wanita
Obat Pencegah Paru-Paru Basah
Obat Gangguan Fungsi Hati
Obat Migrain Alami Herbal