Saturday, April 21, 2012

"S" is for Seven

S is for Seven... as in "Quarter Past Seven"

My mom had this set of books from Scholastic when I was young. It was like an encyclopedia of of awesomeness... and not really an encyclopedia at all, but it's one way to explain it. One of the books contained stories and poems that I LOVED to read. This was one of my favorite. I love how the size of the font grows. It just shows how the narrator is getting more and more angry and her voice is getting louder! At least that's how I've always envisioned it. Happy Saturday!

I WOKE UP THIS MORNINGby Karla Kuskin

I woke up this morning
at quarter past seven
I kicked up the covers
and stuck out my toe.
And ever since then

(that’s a quarter past seven)
they haven’t said anything
other than “no.”
They haven’t said anything
other than “Please, dear,
don’t do what you’re doing,”
or “Lower your voice.”

Whatever I’ve done
and however I’ve chosen,
I’ve done the wrong thing
and I’ve made the wrong choice…

I didn’t say sorry
I didn’t stand straighter.
I didn’t speak louder
when asked what I’d said.
Well, I said that tomorrow
at quarter past seven
they can come in and get me.
I’m Staying In Bed.

20 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

That's a great poem. I love it! I wish I could write poetry - somehow it's always alluded me. And poetry for kids is the best of all!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have days like that...

Cristina said...

LOVE it. I agree with Annalisa, poetry for kids really is the best :)
have an awesome weekend lady!

Janna said...

Great poem. Sometimes as the mom, I feel like this.

Roberta said...

So adorable! Stopping over from A-Z!

http://diamondvilleclarksdennisroberta.blogspot.com/

Tobi Summers said...

Haha, I love it! It reminds me of a Shel Silverstein poem (the only kind of poetry I really appreciated). Happy Saturday!

Hope Roberson said...

That's a cute poem :) Was your mom a teacher? Scholastic and teachers just go together for me :)
Have a good weekend Leigh!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Nice. I should have talked about the magical significance of the number seven in my post today. Ugh. You're the second person who's shown me what I should have done.

Cassie Mae said...

Oh I like the font too. Totally creative and a way of getting the emotion across.

Leslie Rose said...

I think this poem just became my new theme song.

Angela Brown said...

I'll have to keep this one away from my seven year old because I could sense a lot of her sass in that poem. I'd ask her where she got the sass from but I know the honest truth about that lol!!!

Trisha said...

Oh, the hardship of being a kid, so misunderstood! hehe, i do remember it ;)

Cherie Larkins said...

Very cute! And I agree with you about the font--how it seems as if the narrator is getting angrier as the font gets bigger in size. Clever!

Charlie Holmberg said...

Ha ha, I like it. I like the flow, too...

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Loved it! And I don't usually like poems, but this one, yes! I feel like that a lot. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Julie Daines said...

Great. And perfect for a Monday morning. Which is when I'm reading this, not when you posted. :)

David P. King said...

That is exactly how I was feeling this morning. Cursed weekend of grueling, but necessary, labor. :)

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

They discourage modern poets from messing with font in a lot of places but this gives me the idea that I should

Betty Alark said...

That's a wonderful poem!

I just want to get up and be me!


http://bettyalark.blogspot.com

Adeeva Afsheen said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Penyakit Asam Urat Dan Diabetes
Obat Tradisional Tumor Ginjal
Obat Benjolan Di Pergelangan Tangan Tradisional