Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Interview with Author - Betsy Love!

I have LDS author, Betsy Love with us today! Whoo-hoo! I won her book, IDENTITY and had so much fun reading it that I asked her to come share on my blog today. Isn't she awesome to agree? I think so! So here are a few fun interview questions with Betsy....

1. Where did the inspiration come from for IDENTITY?
My mother starting reading me a book when I was about 10 years old. She never finished it and I've always had my eye out looking for that book (I don't even know what it's called). One day I was bemoaning that fact to my then 10 year old daughter. She said, "So write your own ending." Sarah is so brilliant. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. And that my dear friend, is how Identity was born.

2. Tell us a little about your writing process and routine?
I tell myself BIS-HOK (butt in seat, hands on keyboard). If I wait for writing time to happen, it won't. I'm so easily distracted. The most important thing I do at the beginning of the week is set goals for myself. My goal for this week is to finish the first round of edits for Soulfire. When I'm not in the middle of edits (with my editor) I like to spend some time playing a couple of hands of spider solitaire while I think about what I'm writing about. Then I go to this great website called http://sprintwriters.blogspot.com and join other writers and sprint in 30 minute segments. At the end of each sprint we report back what we got accomplished, whether it's new writing or editing. We also like to post a favorite sentence or two.

3. Any hints as to what's coming up next from you?
Currently I'm working on a YA general novel I'm calling The Penny Project. It's based very loosely on a real life story I heard about a year ago. The story is about a young man who must learn the true value of love, even when though he faces ridicule from his friends. Jake, a junior in high school and in line for valedictorian, wants nothing to do with the new girl who is short, fat and just plain ugly. Because of a prank to get him out of being Penelope's chemistry lab partner, Jake's punishment is to tutor her three times a week. Even though he sees Penelope's value, other do not. (Yeah, I'm still working on that pitch). My editor loves the idea and wants to see the full manuscript. It's almost finished.

4. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
First and foremost-WRITE! Even if you don't think it's brilliant, you're honing your craft. Your first novel will probably go into a file somewhere in a deep dark abyss. And that's okay. I have a novel I wrote over 30 years ago that will probably never see the light of day. The second thing I would say is to join a critique group or at the very least find someone who is willing to read your work and give you honest feedback. I would suggest another writer/author. If you give it to someone like your Mom or your cousin who adores you, you're not likely to get the feedback that you need to grow as a writer. Fourth, READ! Stephen Kings says you can learn as much if not more from a poorly written book. Read everything you can get your hands on, especially in the genre you like to write in. And last, attend writing conference, take writing classes, read blogs on writing.

And now for my chocolate chip questions... they're tiny little morsels of fun!

5. If you could invite 3 literary characters to dinner, who would you invite?
That's easy! Jean Val Jean from Les Miserables, Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof, and Paddington the bear (He's the first character I ever read about as a child and there's a whole story behind that one).

6. If you could choose one super-power, what would it be?
Teleportation! Then I could go anywhere I wanted at any time and not have to worry about the gas prices. If I couldn't have that one, then flight, and I'd just fly where I wanted to go.

7. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 things would you want with you? (besides your family & laptop!)
That's so not fair! I could use a break from my family, but my laptop! Alright, I'll play along. 
1. An unlimited supply of dark chocolate to drown my sorrow because I don't have my laptop.
2. A bag of Cheetos (I'll need something salty in between all that chocolate.)


3. My kindle filled with as many books as it will hold. (I have to do something while waiting for my super powers to kick in.)

8. Share a favorite thought or quote.
I love this video/quote by Ira Glass



I love this Betsy!Fabulous answers!
Now let me share a little about her book, IDENTITY.

Blurb from Goodreads:
While vacationing in Mexico, two similar-looking young women find themselves caught in a chain reaction of mistaken identities. Amelia is a wealthy heiress and business owner, and Savannah is a sweet Mormon girl deciding whether or not to serve a mission. When they end up on the same flight to Phoenix, Savannah and Amelia unravel the sequence of events that wreaked havoc on their trips, and they make plans to resolve the subsequent misunderstandings. But their flight is cut short when the plane crashes, killing one of the young women and plunging the other into a world of intrigue and deceit where identity means everything.

My opinion:
Those of you who have been around long, know how sometimes I struggle with LDS fiction. Well, the synopsis of this book intrigued me so much, I HAD to check it out. Yes, the "church" stuff can be a little heavy at times, but she also throws humor in with it, which is fun. Afterall, to an outsider, the LDS church seems a little weird.
But what I really love is the plot line. I've never read an LDS book with this kind of plot line. A total murder mystery with lots of suspense. I couldn't put it down cause I had to see what happened! THAT is always a bonus in my book. A very creative and fun story to read. I would recommend you read it.

FIND BETSY:

Betsy - thanks again for being here and sharing with us today. I'm so excited for The Penny Project! It sounds wonderful. 

Now everybody share some LOVE for Betsy. Afterall - it's part of her name!

32 comments:

Mark Koopmans said...

Hawaii kicks in as #1 again :)

Aloha Betsy (and love to Leigh:)

Thanks for sharing the writing tips, Betsy.. I will definitely be trying BIS-HOK.. and checking out the other links you mentioned.

And Leigh, *much* better interview than the one you had last week, gosh! Who was that guy with the weird accent?

Kelley said...

Such a great interview you guys!

And what a great story. To finish the story that was never finished. Genius :)

S.P. Bowers said...

Great interview. Why did I never think of teleportation? That would be amazing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes! Teleportation. The only way to travel.
I had a story I wrote well over thirty years that sat in a drawer forever. I picked it up a few years ago and rewrote it, and it became my first published book. So there is hope for those old stories.

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Great interview and great advice.

Essay Writing Service said...

This is always great when one come across with an author to get lot of information. The writing company is having such authors to deliver extremely quality writing. Thanks for sharing.

Talli Roland said...

Love the cover.

And I might have to steal BIS-HOK! What a great acronym. Congrats to Betsy on Identity!

Talli Roland said...

Love the cover.

And I might have to steal BIS-HOK! What a great acronym. Congrats to Betsy on Identity!

elizabeth seckman said...

Now I must go find that site where they help a writer keep the butt in the seat!

i'm erin. said...

Great great great tips Betsy! And I LOVE your name...ha ha...ok, I'm not so witty. Anyway, great interview. I love JVJ also. I read all of Les Mes when I was in high school and it's been a favorite of mine since.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Betsy rocks, and I loved Identity. That video with the Ira Glass quote is one of my favorites, too.

And teleportation would be my super power, too. Then I could visit my grandkids in Hawaii and China more often and without such long flights.
*sigh*

Linda Jackson said...

Such a great interview. And I loved, loved, loved that video. It really hit home. :)

Emily R. King said...

Nice to meet you, Betsy! Your answer to the three characters coming to dinner was spot on. Can I come too?

Thanks for sharing, Leigh! It was fun to watch the book trailer. Identity sounds like a good read.

Morgan said...

Dang... that sprint writing stuff sounds AWESOME. ;)

Betsy, very cool to "meet" you... your writing looks fabulous and Leigh, loved your thoughts on everything. I don't really read LDS fiction, if ever... I'm kind of a dirty gal, LOL. But with this recommendation, I'll definitely check it out!

Betsy Love said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. And thanks for visiting my web!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I too think teleportation would be awesomesauce.

Angela Cothran said...

Oh my goodness I HAVE to read that book!!! It sounds awesome. I'm so glad you had Betsy here today :)

Jennifer Lee Young said...

Thanks for introducing us to Besty Love, Leigh! Besty, thanks for all the writing advice and best of luck on The Penny Project!

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Thanks for sharing, Leigh.

Theresa Small Sneed said...

Great interview of an astounding author! Thanks Leigh!

Maggie said...

Betsy sounds fun. And I LOVE her rockin' headband!

prerna pickett said...

the books sounds great. I have the same feelings as you when it comes to LDS fiction...I'll have to check this one out.

Sarah Pearson said...

That's a fun cover :-)
Lovely to meet you, Betsy.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great interview! Thanks for sharing. I was especially interested in the sprint writing thing - I will have to check that out! And on that island? I hope there's water or man are you going to be thirsty :)

Stacy Henrie said...

Sounds like a fun read - very cool premise! Great interview.

Coleen Patrick said...

Sounds great! I'm off to check out Betsy's site :)
Another awesome interview!

Nicole said...

Great interview! It's so funny - this week's Castle (which I love) featured what sounds like a very similar plotline to Identity. I thought it was really intriguing!

Patricia T. said...

Another great interview Leigh. You know, I don't receive your posts in my e-mail box until almost 18-24 hrs after you post. I love Betsy's name -- perfect for her books. And Identity captured my attention immediately. I like her style. Wish her much success.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I wish for teleportation, too! Even when I'm so tired, I know I'd go to bed if I could just teleport there. :) And I love that quote video!

The book sounds quite intriguing!

Kathryn Elliott said...

BIS-HOK! *giggle-snort-giggle* Great advice, Betsy!

Shallee said...

Love that quote from Ira Glass! Thanks for the interview, Leigh and Betsy!

eva fhadilah said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Jamu Pelangsing Green World
Nutrisi Sehat Untuk Pertumbuhan Anak
Nutrisi Untuk Diet Sehat
Obat Herbal Penggemuk Badan
Obat Migrain Menahun
Obat Herbal Pengencer Darah
Obat Herbal Pelancar Buang Air Besar
Cara Ampuh Atasi Jerawat Dengan Cepat
Suplemen Untuk Kekebalan Tubuh
Suplemen Untuk Masa Pertumbuhan Anak