Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Meeting Trevor Green

Hello Everyone! You know how I'm so fond of getting you guys over here for interviews? Well guess what? I suckered someone else into coming over! BAHAHAHA! *rubs hands together menacingly* He had no idea what was in store for him, but luckily --- he handled the pressure well. It was no small feat, so go ahead and give him a round of applause..... *cheers*
.... Alright, alright - settle down! I know you're excited, but let me introduce you to the man of the hour before this gets out of hand.

Trevor Green is with us today, and he pilots the blog Beyond Dragons and Wizards! (Fab name, right?)

He is still fairly new to the blogosphere so be sure to hop over and show some love. But first... here is a little more about him:


1. Tell us a little about yourself, in 40 words or less.

I'm in my mid-twenties, been married for five years to my wife Becky, and just I started going back to school. I used to be the vocalist in a local deathcore band, and loved it. I've only recently come to terms with my dreams of being a writer, and it's flipped my life on its head, but it's what I've always needed to do.

2. What genre do you write and for what age group?
Right now I'm on a huge YA Fantasy kick. I feel like someday I'll begin writing other things in earnest, but for the moment, I'm all about YA. I don't know how well I can pin my writing down to an age group, but I might say it's somewhere from early to late teens, possibly into the twenties (we all read Harry Potter still right?) I'm kind of naturally a dark person when it comes to writing, so it's a constant struggle to keep myself in the "age-group appropriate box". But I have a lot of faith in young people's ability to handle and internalize big stuff, so that also affects my choice of age-based content.  I guess what I'm saying is this: I have no clue who should read my writing. Everyone I guess?
 
3. Tell us a little about your current WIP.
Right now I'm rewriting my second novel, titled The Sometimes Sword, from the ground up. I wrote the first draft back in May or June 2011, and spent a few months revising it before just throwing up my hands and starting over. I'm glad I did.

Here's my crack at a summary:

Astrid Kindle's mother is never around. Astrid knows she does important work for Greenpac, a national goodwill organization, but the long months in Zimbabwe are taking their toll. Her TV-loving aunt stays over with her, yet all Astrid wants is to be with her mother again. Little does she know, that wish is about to come true. One day while riding bikes with her friend Gwen, Astrid's dog Darwin runs away into a deep cave, and she follows...

The cave is the secret, ancient home of an Earthwell, a magical crossing point between realities, and Astrid stumbles right into it. When she emerges on the Other Side, dazed and confused, the last person she expected on earth is there to greet her… her mother.

With Astrid's arrival, a flurry of attacks are set in motion by a fearful adversary, putting the very fate of the world in the balance. Even worse, her mother is caught in the conflict, frozen by a deadly spellbind and quickly wasting away. Joined by a kitchen boy named Chale, a rat named Kenneth, and Spigworth the Owl, Astrid sets forth to cross the hazardous Flat Lands in search of answers. Hindered by a witcher women straight from local legend, ferocious monsters, and thirteen evil Druids, the unlikely companions must quickly find help, or save Astrid's mother and Chale's village themselves.

4. What made you decide to become a writer?
Not being satisfied by my day dreams I suppose. I've always been a book person, but eventually, reading just wasn't enough. I wrote maybe twenty pages of a crap novel back in high school, but never did anything with it. Years passed, and I started playing an MMORPG (you might have heard of it) called World of Warcraft. Needless to say, I'm a nerd, so I started writing some role-play backstory for one of my in-game characters, and ended up converting those first pages into a working novel, dropping the WoW parts, and developing my own world. 75k words later, I gave it up because it sucked, and started the first version of The Sometimes Sword, a completely original work from the get-go. I'm incredibly glad I did.

When it comes down to it, I decided to become a writer in order to tell stories. And also because I've got one of those I'm-too-ashamed-to-show-anyone-what-I-write-but-I-still-think-I-have-something-to-offer-the-world-type egos.

5. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
Honestly, blogging is what I do when I'm too lazy to write in my book. It's a way for me to slack off, without REALLY slacking off, if you know what I mean. I still feel like I accomplish something, even if it's just exercising my brain for an hour. Aside from that, it's really fun to know someone out there might read something that came out of my head, and gain something from it. I've spent a lot of time reading blogs and articles on writing, so I know they're valuable to people (they sure helped me a lot). I'm no writing veteran, but I hope someone benefits from something I write, or decides to take the plunge and begin their own book.

And now... for my chocolate chip questions. These are tasty little morsels to add more flavor!
6. If you were a super hero, what super power would you have? Why?
I could probably spend way too long on this subject. Never ask a nerd what superhero they would be! Short answer is this: all of them. Wait, that's not allowed? Dang. Ok, well, I'd have to say one of the "whole package" dudes, like Superman or Green Lantern. They can pretty much do anything! But I've always had a thing in particular for the concept of the Green Lanterns. A ring powered by will, only limited by the wielder's imagination? Heck yeah! Pretty sure the comic book dudes have yet to even scratch the surface of what I'd do with it.

On a side note, Iron Man is my favorite superhero to watch/read. Thor is pretty dang cool nowadays too.

7. If you could be a literary character for a day, who would you be, and why?
Rand al'Thor. Robert Jordan's magic system is THE magic system in my mind. As in "the one and only". I grew up with those books, and love the One Power. Rand is this amazing, super powerful character who has all of these epic battles, multiple women in love with him, horrific choices to make all the time, the weight of the world pressing down on his shoulders… wait. No. I would not want to be him, no. Scratch that. Let's just say a truly good character has too many problems for my taste. My own life is much simpler, thank you very much. Perhaps the guy that Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice ends up with. She's hot right? (And yeah, my wife helped me with that a bit. Apparently he's a brooder too; we must be kindred spirits.)

8. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 things would you want with you (besides your laptop & family, of course)?
Well, I'm a sucker for video games, but I suppose your proverbial desert island lacks a Comcast connection, so I'd have to say:

1. Nail clippers.
2. A nice cast iron pot.
3. A freakishly long hunting knife.

I'd also sneak in a roll of toilet paper. Shhhh.

9. Share one of your favorite thoughts or quotes.
There are so many awesome quotes in literature, I don't even know where to start. I think Tolkien is the one who said, "Eat Twinkies", but I may be wrong, so I'll just go with this other, less famous quote from his book that was adapted for the movies:

"Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way. 
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it.
Pippin: What? Gandalf?... See what?
Gandalf: White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad.
Gandalf: No... No it isn't."


Words to make a man cry. I wish I could go on forever, just talking about Lord of the Rings. But I won't. I'll just say this: Even if you don't believe in life after death or God, you have to find something to believe in. I mean REALLY believe in. Go forth and seek it.

See? Isn't he awesome? Isn't it fun to meet new writers? I love getting to know something beyond the blog about all of you. Trevor... thanks so much for sharing with us today. It's been wonderful having you!

23 comments:

Susan Fields said...

Thanks for introducing us to Trevor - I'll pop over and say "hi!" And that LOTR quote is fantastic - love it!

Kyra Lennon said...

Awesome interview! I loved the part where Trevor said, "And also because I've got one of those I'm-too-ashamed-to-show-anyone-what-I-write-but-I-still-think-I-have-something-to-offer-the-world-type egos." - I have that ego too lol!

Gonna check out his blog now! :D

Melanie Fowler said...

Trevor is awesome. I love the quote from Tolkien, I'm kind of a lamo and starting singing the song from the movie about the white shores :)

Fairview said...

Nice. I love your interview technique. Really get to know the interview-ee. I'll pop over as well.

Shallee said...

Ooh, The Wheel of Time is so awesome! Although you'd be really putting yourself through crap if you were Rand...

Good to meet you, and thanks for hosting the interview, Leigh!

Misha Gericke said...

Treveor, you do sound pretty awesome. I'm also writing a YA book for older audiences. Heading over to follow. :-)

Patricia T. said...

Leigh, I really enjoyed the interview with Trevor. It's nice to know that we all have first drafts that don't work and set them aside. Like the theme of Trevor's current book. Glad you introduced us to Trevor. - Pat

Samantha said...

Lord of the Rings...is kind of an obsession of mine. For real, Merry and Pippin are my faves :)

clarbojahn said...

Thanks for hosting Trevor and sharing him with us. Nice to *meet* him here.

Kelly Polark said...

Hi Trevor!!
Leigh, your site looks so awesome!!!

Ruth Josse said...

Nice! I love how he said he writes because reading wasn't enough anymore. Same for me. Nice to meet you, Trevor!

Kelley said...

Great interview! I loved Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Series!! And also a YA Fantasy writer ;) very cool.

Great interview!

David P. King said...

You can almost never get enough of these interviews. Nice one, you guys! :)

Carrie Butler said...

I love how WoW helped inspire him to write. :) Great interview!

Amber said...

Great interview! Trevor seems like a pretty cool guy!

Jenna Blake Morris said...

Awesome interview on both sides! Green Lantern's my dad's favorite, too, but I think I lean a teensy bit more to the X-Men side...

Claudine G. said...

Great interview, Trevor & Leigh. Excellent bit from The Lord of the Rings, and you had me laughing at 'the guy that Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice ends up with'! Best of luck with your WIP, Trevor. Astrid sounds like an awesome heroine. :)

Jenny Sulpizio said...

Great interview guys and so great to "meet" Trevor. Love your blog, Leigh!

Coleen Patrick said...

Love your interviews! It's so fun to find out what other writer's are thinking and of course their superpowers! :)

Queendheena said...

This interview was great. Trevor comes as fun and confident in his work despite some shyness. I love writers who go on despite the fear of putting your work out there.

His novel The Sometimes Sword is very interesting and Astrid is a character who peaks my curiousity. Keep going Trevor and excellent interview Leigh.

Donna Hole said...

Hi Trevor; very nice to meet you. You and your novel sound interesting. You wrote that in only 2 months? Wow.

......dhole

Trevor Green said...

Thanks Leigh! It's nice to answer questions for once, instead of asking them. (That's not egotistical is it?) glad all you people enjoyed the interview, hope to see you around!

eva fhadilah said...

Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Nutrisi Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Toko Obat Herbal Online
Suplemen Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Obat Herbal Pengencang Payudara Tanpa Efek Samping
Suplemen Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Herbal Penyubur Sperma
Obat Herbal Penambah Nafsu Makan
Suplemen Herbal Untuk Tulang
Cara Mengatasi Kemandulan Untuk Pria Dan Wanita
Obat Herbal Kejang-Kejang Pada Anak