Monday, February 13, 2012

The Man Beneath the Newspaper...

Oh WOW! Happy Monday everyone! I am so overloaded with joy after the LTUE weekend! Yeah, I only made it to one day of it, but it still left me informed and so motivated. In fact - I skipped Saturday at LTUE so I could go to the library and write. They had me so pumped up after the classes, I couldn't help myself. Kind of bummed out that I missed out on meeting some awesome peeps on Saturday, but getting 3 more chapters written was good. I will tell you more about LTUE later in the week. Right now, I have a special guest!
Do you recognize this guy? Or at least the newspaper, blue shirt and tie? I know a lot of you have been to his blog before. And I've got to tell ya, I've always wondered about the man beneath the newspaper. And guess what? I have an exclusive! O-yeah! Here he is for real!

So let me welcome Iain from Iain's Iainspiration! Thanks for being with us today Iain! It's fun to have you here and have a great revealing! Ta-da! But wait --- we will reveal even more! Yes, with my legendary interview skills will learn even more about this awesome guy! Ready. Set. Here we GOOOO!

1. In 40 words or less, tell us a little about yourself.  
I'm tempted to claim that I was abandoned as a baby, and found and raised by squirrels, or something, but that seems to be everyone’s story these days.  Basically, I live about 30 miles south east of London, and have been writing for about 10 years.

2. Tell us about your current WIP.
 
Odd Squad is a YA Adventure Fantasy.  The summary blow is still a very rough version (it's so clunky that I cringe when I read it.)

T.D. has been recruited into the ‘S’ Division of MI6 due to his extraordinary ability to become invisible.  Along with the rest of his team, T.D. is part of a convoy transporting a nuclear warhead back to Falsane naval base, when they are ambushed, and the warhead is stolen.  They discover that if the bomb is successfully detonated, the devastating effect will be so great that the Unites States will never recover.  The Odd Squad, as the team is affectionately known, have to find the clues that will allow them to track down the bomb, and stop the mysterious Deimos behind the plot.

3. What stage of the writing process are you in? (drafting, revisions/editing, querying, publishing, etc)
I thought I was at the end of revisions/editing, and about to send it to some Crit partners when I realised that there was a shedload of changes/additions that I’d completely overlooked.  This has put me knee deep in revisions again.

And now the "chocolate chip questions..."
4. If you could take a trip in a time machine, would you travel to the future or the past, and why?
Oooh, tough one.  I have a bit of an aversion to History (my mum was a history teacher, and if I showed any vague interest in something historical, then I had a lesson directed at me on the subject.)  Having said that,  if I could send my MS back thirty years when publishers were taking greater risks with new authors, then it’d probably be then.  (I’d also leave notes for loved ones, giving them clues on things to avoid in the future.)

5. If you were a superhero, what super power would you have?
I’d thought about this one when I was younger - stealing a radioactive isotope and irradiating the animal I wanted to get bitten by so I could gain it's powers.
Firstly I thought about a hamster.  I could store the villains in my cheeks once I’d captured them.  The problem is I’d have to sleep a lot during the day.
            Then, I thought about a dolphin, but this meant I could only fight crime at sea, or in swimming pools.
            A dog? – Too easily distracted by bikes and cats.
            A spider? – Probably get sued by DC Comics for breach of copyright
            A cat? – probably get told off for toying with the villain before ripping his head off and leaving the body on the commissioners doorstep for him to find in the morning.
            A halibut? – Do they have teeth?  It’d probably just give me a nasty suck :o|
            In the end, I decided that the best power is to be able to make people smile and see the positive side of things.


6. What is your favorite quote?

If you see someone without a smile. Give them one.
Or…
It’s a hundred miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a packet of cigarettes, it’s dark, and we’re wearing sunglasses…. Hit it! (Blues Brothers)


7. Any advice for other aspiring authors?

DON’T DO IT!!  It gives the rest of us a better chance! ;o)
Seriously though, I think there are people much more qualified out there than me to give proper advice, but if pressed, then I’d say: read as much as possible in your chosen genre, write every day, and read at least one book from an expert on how to write and get published.


Thanks for letting me take part in this.  I've enjoyed thinking about something other than my WIP.

Cheers!
Cheers! Yeah - everybody join in on saying "Cheers," cause I know you're all dying to. At least if you're from the U.S. like me. I totally wish I could pull off an awesome "Cheers!" in real life! Alas - I'll have to leave that to Iain. Now everybody show him some love and don't forget to hop over to his blog and give him a follow!

28 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Odd Squad sounds like a neat idea.

Kyra Lennon said...

Pahaha, I love the comment about advice to aspiring authors! :D

I agree with Miranda, Odd Squad sounds very cool.

Mark Koopmans said...

Loved the interview with Iain, he seems like a hoot - I'm heading over to follow him :)

Rebecca Kiel said...

Love the quote from Blue Brothers. I saw that movie as a kid, and while I understood about half of it, I laughed anyway!

Kelley said...

Great interview! And I'm certainly glad you wrote more...cause that means I get to read more :)

Sarah Pearson said...

What a nice guy Iain sounds. Also, it sounds like he lives near my old neck of the woods :-)

i'm erin. said...

Ha! I think Iain is hilarious. In fact, today is my "drag myself out of the cave" day and actually get back to writing. And Iain's interview is fantastic! He had me at Hailbut.

Emily R. King said...

Iain! You are so funny. Oh my gosh, man, talk about tickling my funny bone. It was GREAT to get to know you better. :D

Jenny S. Morris said...

YAy! Iain. This is so funny and your short recap Odd Squad was great. I still love that title.

Thanks for the smile.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Great interview. And I thought I was following, but had to look you back up and be sure I was following...must have messed up in my button clicking!

Angela Cothran said...

Awesome interview :) I hope you share some of your awesome LUTE knowledge soon!

Samantha said...

I had to read this twice...mostly because I was so distracted by the fact that he's British that I sort of skimmed through the rest of the interview.

:)

Lara Schiffbauer said...

I never would have thought hamster, but the mental pic. of villains stuffed in anyone's cheeks was fabulously funny! What a great interview!

Patricia T. said...

Congratulations on making the time to write and finish three more chpaters. Sounds like you were really inspired.

Enjoyed the interview with Ian -- especially his sense of humor. His novel sounds like a good fun read!

Cortney Pearson said...

Such a fun interview! And yay, I love the motivation that comes from writing events! I love that you snuck away to write!!! :D

L.G.Smith said...

Great answers. Very charming and funny. I too would like to travel back to a time when publishers had more guts than greed. :))

A.E. Martin said...

Hey! There's a game of tag I tagged you in, check it out on my blog =)

Maggie said...

Never been to his blog, but now I'll have to check it out.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Hahaha! Iain is HILARIOUS! I really love his blog. This was a FABULOUS interview. I love the smile quote. Haven't actually heard it before, either. The book sounds awesome, and I love seeing him without the paper! Way to go for the true reveal!

Carrie Butler said...

Hah! Great interview, guys! You made my day. :)

Jennifer Lee Young said...

Great interview Leigh. i loved Lian answers especially the quotes and the one on advice. Thanks for sharing guys!!

Jennifer Lee Young said...

p.s. I'm stealing the smile quote for my pages :)

Iain said...

Wow. What great comments from everyone. Thank you.
And thank you Leigh for having me over. It was great fun.

Alleged Author said...

I think the novel summary sounds great!

Jack said...

Awesome interview and funny too!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Very fun interview, Leigh and Iain! Thanks so much - I really enjoyed it :) Iain, if the book is as entertaining as you are, it will be great!

Leslie Rose said...

Fun interview. One of my burst laughs scared the cat into a dash up the stairs.

eva fhadilah said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Suplemen Pelangsing Herbal
Suplemen Peremajaan Kulit
Obat Herbal Penyakit Gastritis
Obat Herbal Patah Tulang
Jenis Suplemen Yang Baik Dikonsumsi Ibu Hamil
Suplemen Kesehatan Tulang
Obat Tradisional Penurun Kolesterol
Suplemen Penurun Kolesterol Dalam Darah
Suplemen Penurun Kolesterol Tinggi
Green World Blueberry Concentrate