Friday, February 10, 2012

Feeling Emotional?

How are all my favorite people this morning? I want to give you a quick warning, that I won't be hopping around blogs until Sunday. Sad, I know! It's going to be hard to wait that, but I'll be at the LTUE conference for the next couple days. (Don't worry - I'll tell you all about it!)

Now... on to more important things. It is the final day of the "I'm Hearing Voices" Character Blogfest, hosted by the lovely Cassie Cook & Angela Cothran! A quick shout out to these ladies for putting together such a fabulous FEST! It has helped me a ton with my characters, and I've had a lot of fun reading other posts and making new friends!

Today's challenge is to write a 250 word flash fiction to make the reader "Feel" whichever emotion you are trying to evoke.
*Note: I have had a HARD time deciding which "emotional" part to share for today. If you know me, I like to go against the norm, but... I really had to introduce you to Clovis. So check it out.---(BTW - Skye is the one speaking.)
Meet Clovis! (source)

We walked in silence behind Clovis’ silhouette, not knowing what to say to such a fearsome creature. Clovis made a sudden stop and put his hand up, signaling for us to do the same. I heard a small noise, but I couldn’t place it. Grabbing Logan’s forearm, we both searched the area, trying to identify the noise. Clovis raised his trident and my eyes grew large. Logan grabbed my arm and we backed against the wall.
With a quick swoop, Clovis made vicious stab at the ceiling, the sound of metal and rock colliding. Logan’s muscles tensed around my waist. Clovis moved the trident into the faint light of the tunnel showing a black furry ball on the end of one prong.
“Bats," he said.
Bats? Oh my gosh he just speared a bat! Apparently Harvok’s didn’t like bats in their caves.
Clovis pulled the twitching creature off the trident and shoved it in his mouth. A loud crunch followed and my mouth dropped.
“Bats goods,” Clovis said.
My nails dug into Logan’s arm but he didn’t seem to notice. His eyes were like giant orbs when we looked at each other. “I think I’m sick,” he said. All I could do was nod in agreement.

So, what did you think? What did you feel?
And be sure to hop around to the others. There are some amazing people doing this hop. I promise... you don't want to miss what they have to offer. 
1.Michael Offutt2.Kelley Lynn
3.Miranda Hardy4.Hope Roberson
5.Cutest Landing6.Kim Karras
7.Jessica McKendry8.Emily R. King
9.Ian's Realm Trilogy10.Ruth Josse
11.Jenny S. Morris12.For Science!
13.Leigh Covington14.Sara Bulla
15.Melissa Sarno16.The Ubiquitous Perspective
17.Melodie Wright18.Jenna Cooper
19.Donna Hole20.laughingwolf [aka tony hunt]
21.My Demon Spirits22.Frost Lord
23.Clarissa Draper24.Sarah Ahiers
25.Thinking The Lions26.Sherri's Graphomania
27.Kathy McKendry28.Writing with Shelly and Chad
29.Sarah Barnett30.mountainlyon
31.Aldrea Alien32.Emily L. Moir
33.Pen and Chocolate 34.Medeia Sharif
35.Gwen Tolios36.Jade Hart
37.Under the Tiki Hut38.Ainsley Shay
39.Scribble and Edit40.Stephen Tremp Breakthrough Blogs
41.Cortney Pearson42.Lisa the Word Nerd
43.Damyanti@Amlokiblogs44.Sarah McCabe- The Aspiring Sub-creator
45.In My Write Mind46.Trisha @ WORD STUFF
47.Melissa Sugar48.Tasha Seegmiller
49.Q Writers Muses50.JUSTINE DELL!
51.Jess Stork @ InkspotPlot52.Nicole Zoltack
53.Hildred Billings54.Grumpy Bulldog
55.My Different Corners56.RachelMaryBean
57.Write Here, Write Now58.Ashley Nixon
59.Kristin Dee60.Use Your Words...
61.Clare Dugmore Writes62.The Capillary
63.The Capillary64.J. A. Bennett
65.Cristina Dos Santos66.Amber
67.Hywela Lyn68.A Writer's Muses
69.Lyla Lee70.Terias McKlay
71.One DV Rebel72.Meet Matty
73.Funny Girl74.Roland Yeomans : Writing In The Crosshairs
75.Sharon Bayliss76.William Brian Johnson
77.Sari Webb78.tara tyler
79.AmyMak80.Bouquet of Books
81.Entertaining Interests82."I'm Hearing Voices" Day 2: Dialogue Introduction
83.Deana Barnhart84.Bouquet of Books
85.Lady Bluestocking86.Tales from the Rh?n
87.Tales from the Rh?n
Submit your link:






Accepted links may take a few minutes to appear.

Get your own link widget at simply-linked.com
 

39 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Goodness. I felt fear and then disgust. Great job.

Enjoy the conference. So jealous.

Mark Koopmans said...

Have fun at the conference.. you sound excited, just make sure you remember which name to use when self-introducing:)

I felt gross at the eating the bat part and I think Harvoks are cool :)

Kyra Lennon said...

Like Miranda, I felt fear and then disgust too. The fear was very strong, and you created great suspense, making me wonder what Clovis was going to do next!

Tara Tyler said...

apprehension, not quite fear, but worried about what might happen. great scene!

i'm jelous of your conf, have fun for me!

and have a hearts & flowers weekend!

Cristina said...

Every time I read a little more of your story I fall deeper in love!!!

Am I the only one that thinks this Clovis thing is kinda cute? I do.

L.G.Smith said...

Mmmm, bats. Clovis is kind of cute...in a sort of disgusting way.

Have fun at your conference.

inluvwithwords said...

I felt suspense, apprehension, and then finally, I was grossed out.

Nicely done, Abby.

Can't wait to hear about the conference!

Danielle B. said...

I think I'm gonna be sick. Eeewwww! Clovis reminds me of Dobby but uglier. I bet he's cute in his own way. LOVE this!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Bats! Ugh. However, I love the way this scene is set up. Very well done.

Have fun at the conference - super jealous!

RachelMaryBean said...

*shiver* That should have come with a warning! Good job!

Cassie Mae said...

Holy gag! Still gagging. Can't comment through the bile that wants to emerge from my tummy.

Ya, great descriptions and...

Bleck!

prerna pickett said...

awesome job! Totally creepy.

Clare said...

This was excellent.

I especially loved this exchange:

“Bats," he said.
Bats? Oh my gosh he just speared a bat! Apparently Harvok’s didn’t like bats in their caves.
Clovis pulled the twitching creature off the trident and shoved it in his mouth. A loud crunch followed and my mouth dropped.
“Bats goods,” Clovis said.

That gave me a giggle.

I'm sure I should be creeped out by Clovis, but I find things like this fascinating.

You done wonderfully at describing dark and creepy.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

It reminds me of that time Ozzy Osbourne bit into a bat that fell on stage. He had to get rabies shots. And it's very well written of course :)

Angela Cothran said...

Started off feeling a little worried about what they were walking into...then, EWW! Gross! Well done :)

Emily R. King said...

Yuck! I'm totally disgusted. Nice, Leigh. Very nice.

Samantha said...

I just threw up a little.

Nice job Leigh!

:)

Lara Schiffbauer said...

I was thinking revulsion. Definitely pursed my lips together in revulsion.

Dianne Gardner said...

OH gosh, did you paint Clovis! He's fantastic and I can so see him in a book! I loved this scene, tho the bat eating was a little repulsive. Good job.

Ashley Nixon said...

Clovis is such a great name for him! Loved the "He just speared a bat!" LOL. I was definitely nervous for a minute! I had no idea what the noise was!

Sarah said...

Urgh. Goosebumps and revulsion. You've defiantly made me feel today! Still, he seems like such an amazing character, and Clovis... where did you get that name? It suits... him/it really well!

Jenny S. Morris said...

Yucko! But Love THIS!

The Golden Eagle said...

I felt nervous for the characters, and then disturbed that he'd eat something just like that . . . blech.

Great piece. :)

Sara said...

I felt the fear, and the suspense and then the disgust. Very cool character. I want to know more about Clovis and what he is.

Jennifer Lee Young said...

I loved your excerpt Leigh! I was NOT expecting him to eat that bat, lol. Great job girl!!!

Lyla said...

Haha reading the exchange Clare pointed out made me say, "eewwww" out loud. I can't help but feel sorry for the poor creature. :( Great job!

Cortney Pearson said...

Ew, I definitely felt queasy on that one! Great dialogue in there too. Nice writing!

Kelley said...

Love this. I love everything about your story :) So good you are!! :)

And Clovis...I love Clovis :) Great pic of him btw!

Patricia T. said...

Felt a lot of emotion. And, you did a great job of showing. Your story was very good.

Jade Hart said...

OMG Leigh that was gross :) Spearing and eating a Bat?! how did you come up with this stuff :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I felt disgust, but I admit I was a little amused :) "Bats goods!"

Carol Kilgore said...

Gross!
Emotion definitely is there :)

Sarah Pearson said...

I love the way you built up the creepy and ended with the gross :-)

The Capillary said...

There was a mixture of uncertainty and disgust. It'd be neat to know what the rest of the story is about.

Trisha said...

Definitely fear, and tension, and suspense...and then 'grossness' haha. I see that grossness has been mentioned in some other comments too. ;) Great flash piece, Leigh!

Hope Roberson said...

Disgusting :) I love your characters!

Leslie Rose said...

Visceral creep factor. Nice.

Donna Hole said...

LOL; distrust, fear, and disgust. A great combination for a scene like this. Clovis sounds exciting and repulsive both. My kind of character :)

Sorry I'm so late getting around to all the blogfest participants.

.........dhole

eva fhadilah said...

Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Nutrisi Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Toko Obat Herbal Online
Suplemen Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Obat Herbal Pengencang Payudara Tanpa Efek Samping
Suplemen Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Herbal Penyubur Sperma
Obat Herbal Penambah Nafsu Makan
Suplemen Herbal Untuk Tulang
Cara Mengatasi Kemandulan Untuk Pria Dan Wanita
Obat Herbal Kejang-Kejang Pada Anak