This picture is so pretty AND cool --- I just had to use it. Awesome right?
And I wanted to give you a few notes that I got from the LTUE Conference. This was a class I went to on "Magical Systems," which I found very helpful and interesting, especially since my current WIP is a YA fantasy with magical elements.
Here are some of the tips they gave us:
- Magic needs to have a purpose & drive the storyline. (that should be obvious, right?)
- Consistent. Don't just pull things out of the blue. Build up. Lead. Earn them.
- Have Rules. Simple cause and effect matters work great with magical systems.
- Magic is a tool. Make sure your character uses it as a tool and it isn't the only thing that defines them.
- Even magical characters need flaws and weaknesses.
And if you're stuck on how to use magic for your book, here's a fun idea: Take something simple and make it extraordinary! Give it a little twist or a tweak and you'll see amazing things happen.
Also - if you've missed out on the awesome sauce movies floating around Facebook - here you go!
This one features Chantele Sedgwick, David Powers King, Cassie Mae & Me! Don't worry - there are MORE! So stay tuned!
Do you have magic in your book? What are some of your favorite books with magic?