Monday, January 2, 2012

Inspiration & Motivation for 2012!

Can I just say... I have missed blogging! Life has been so hectic over the holidays, that it was good not to have the pressure of blogging, but I missed it! It feels good to be back in the blogosphere!
First things first.... 
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Welcome, welcome 2012!
I found a new song over the holiday break that I'm going to share with you. It is my current "theme song." I love finding songs that leave me motivated and ready to take on the world. You know the feeling right? The sense of invincibility that came so easily during youth. I find it harder to come by these days and sometimes I wish I was as brave as I used to be, but... that's what I have you guys for! You guys are always motivating and helpful. I love being a part of the writing community. So... I dedicate this song to YOU! And I hope that you will find some sort of motivation in it as well. With this I wish you all the success that 2012 might bring for you! I hope you slay all the dragons you come up against, and crush through all the walls that you find in your way! A few things before you listen:
  • PRETENDERS = US! Or most of us, depending on who's reading this. Does that mean that we aren't really writers? That we're only pretending? NO! It simply means that we are still making the journey. Some of us have completed the quest and slain the dragons, while others are still battling. But... the point is.... WE. ARE. DOING. IT! We are NO LONGER PRETENDERS!
  • DRAGONS = writing a book/novel, revisions & editing, querying/ finding an agent or going indie, and finally...publishing! (of course - hopefully the process repeats itself - over and over again!)
LYRICS for LONG LIVE by TAYLOR SWIFT (of course!)

I still remember this moment
In the back of my mind
The time we stood with our shaking hands
The crowds in stands went wild

We were the kings and the queens
And they read off our names
The night you danced like you knew our lives
Would never be the same

You held your head like a hero
On a history book page
It was the end of a decade
But the start of an age

Long live the walls we crashed through
While the kingdom lights shined just for me and you
I was screaming, long live all the magic we made
And bring on all the pretenders, one day we will be remembered

I said, remember this feeling
I passed the pictures around
Of all the years that we stood there on the sidelines
Wishing for right now

We are the kings and the queens
You traded your baseball cap for a crown
When they gave us our trophies
And we held them up for our town

And the cynics were outraged
Screaming, this is absurd
'Cause for a moment a band of thieves
In ripped-up jeans got to rule the world

Long live the walls we crashed through
While the kingdom lights shined just for me and you
I was screaming, long live all the magic we made
And bring on all the pretenders, I'm not afraid

Long live all the mountains we moved
I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you
I was screaming, long live the look on your face
And bring on all the pretenders, one day we will be remembered

Hold on to spinning around
Confetti falls to the ground
May these memories break or fall

And you take a moment
Promise me this
That you'll stand by me forever
But if God forbid fate should step in

And force us into a goodbye
If you have children someday
When they point to the pictures
Please tell them my name

Tell them how the crowds went wild
Tell them how I hope they shine

Long live the walls we crashed through
I had the time of my life with you

Long, long live the walls we crashed through
All the kingdom lights shined just for me and you
And I was screaming, long live all the magic we made
And bring on all the pretenders, I'm not afraid

Singing, long live all the mountains we moved
I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you
And long, long live the look on your face
And bring on all the pretenders, one day we will be remembered.

So... what inspires you? AND.... who is going to LTUE and who's going to STORYMAKERS?

17 comments:

Angela Cothran said...

I want to be there in May. I hope they still have spots left at the end of the month.

Okay I LOVE your pixie cut. I saw it in you profile picture. HOW CUTE ARE YOU! I wish I could pull that off :) Three cheers for you!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Great song choice and the video totally rocks. I love that movie!

As my friend Donna Hosie told me once, a writer is what I am; an author is what I hope to be someday.

Kelley said...

Great song choice!! :)

Leigh Covington said...

@ Angie - I hope you're there Ang! I still have to buy my ticket, but I'm planning on being there!

@Donna - great thought! I love that!

@Kelley - thanks! I love that song! :)

Hope Roberson said...

My theme song is 'You're So Cool' from the True Romance soundtrack, not because of the name :), because of the music. I have a theme song for most chapters when I write too, it totally helps me focus on the feeling I'm trying to get on the paper (comupter screen), love it!

Melanie Fowler said...

I'm going to storymakers (If they still have open registrations) and what inspires me is similar to you, music. But I don't like listening to music with words, just classical or movie soundtracks.

Michael Offutt, Visitor from the Future said...

The song was a bit too country for my taste and I miss the original soundtrack for How To Train Your Dragon. I see you are a member of Team Tebow. Boy has he made a splash this year...maybe the most mentioned name in sports? Hrmmm.

Patricia T. said...

Like your post. I'm a storymaker, and although I love classical music and occasionally turn it on while writing, I prefer silence when writing. Happy New Yar!

Jenny S. Morris said...

That song is my new inspiration. LOVE IT. Also that movie had a pretty strong impact on some things in my current WIP. I remember watching the flying scenes with the Northern Lights and getting all teary eyed. I can't wait for the 2nd one to come out.

I really, really want to go to Storymakers and I'm trying to make it happen. We'll see.

Leigh Covington said...

@Hope - I'm going to have to check out that song! I haven't heard it yet. I don't think, anyway.

@Mel - YAY! I hope we are storymakers together! I can't listen to music with words while writing. I don't get any writing done!

@Michael - heck ya! Tebow is kicking some butt. He's really doing some great things. Fun to watch.

@Patricia - YAY! I hope to see you at storymakers. It would be great to meet you in person! And I like silence while writing too!

@Jenny - that would be MORE than fabulous if you could make it to storymakers. I know that is quite a trip for you. I hope you can work it out :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I'm going to be at Storymakers. Not sure I can make the other one, but I'm working on it.

ali cross said...

Aw! I've never heard that song before and it was great! A great inspirational song. Thanks Leigh!

Mark Koopmans said...

Happy New Year, Leigh!

Thanks for the motivation:) And, for your kind wishes re. the new baby!

Ps... and look at you go, with that new hairstyle.... very cool... would try that look myself, but it's hard to do much when you look like Kojak :)

Sharron said...

Anything Credence - I've got Midnight Special on right now. When I'm writing about dragons - I need something funky.

Trisha said...

Wow, those lyrics are so long! I didn't know she wrote so many lyrics in her songs. hehe

Thanks for sharing, those lyrics are cool!

What inspires me? Um, pretty well everything. Music, walking by the beach, closing my eyes & letting my mind wander. ;)

Catherine Ensley said...

Wonderful song. Thank you for sharing it with us. Best to you in 2012. May all of your writing dreams come true.

eva fhadilah said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Mengobati Alami Nyeri Sendi
Krim Jerawat Terbaik
Obat Alami Sakit Maag Kronis
Obat Sakit Tenggorokan Berkepanjangan
Obat Membersihkan Rahim Kotor Tanpa Kuret
Cara Mengatasi Gigi Berlubang
Obat Herbal Katup Jantung Bermasalah
Obat Herbal Untuk Penyakit Kanker Serviks
Cara Mencegah Penyempitan Pembuluh Darah Jantung
Obat Alami Radang Usus Besar