Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Aubree is Awesome!

Hi Friends! Today Aubree Hale is visiting us from "The Writing Hour." She is new to the "writing" part of the blogosphere so I hope you will hop over and show her some love. Her posts are fun to read and she is a great friend to follow you back and leave awesome comments! She has a HUGE work load this semester, and she still manages to ROCK! I don't think I survive all that she does. She's amazing. Now lets get to know her better, shall we?
1. Tell us a little about yourself, in 40 words or less.
I’m Aubree, retail worker and college student by day, aspiring novelist by night! I have a weakness for all things chocolate, Harry Potter, and Disneyland. I’m majoring in English and have high hopes of being a professor someday.

2. What genre and age group do you write for?
I write mostly Young Adult. I love Young Adult because it’s (usually) safe for teens of all ages, and if the story is intriguing and it’s well written adults can enjoy it too, as opposed to adult literature, which usually has elements too mature for a younger audience. Most of my stories, especially my WIP, are YA geared for high school/ older teens.

3.  Tell us a little about your current WIP.
I’m not the best at summarizing (bad news for when I start querying!) but here goes. My WIP is told from the point of view of a seventeen year old girl, Seraphina, who works in a castle as the personal attendant/ best friend of the princess. The kingdom is plagued by a type of creature similar to humans, the difference being that these ones prey on humans. Her father was killed by one of these creatures and her mother is trying to force her into a betrothal with her late father’s apprentice, whom she has no interest in. Mistaken for the princess, Seraphina is kidnapped by one of these creatures and held as ransom in a war that’s on the brink of exploding. Now that she’s fighting for her life against creatures that would devour her in a heartbeat, nothing is as it seems. Not her friendship with the princess, not the feelings evolving into more than friendship for her captor, and certainly not the jarring secrets she learns about herself along the way.

4. How long have you been writing & what inspired you to be a writer?
I guess you could say I’ve been writing since I was nine. There were various short stories -- about fellow nine years olds on a basketball team who solved the occasional crime and kids who found mysterious diaries. Neither of which ever happened to me! The summer before my last year of high school I got serious about writing and finished my first book. I’ve finished another since then and am about 2/3 of the way through my WIP.
I think like most writers, I was inspired by my love of reading. Once I get an idea in my head I can’t just let it sit there.

5. How long have you been blogging & why did you decide to start?
I had another blog or two but those have died off. My writing blog is only a few weeks old but I’ve been around the blogosphere for about two years. I started The Writing Hour to meet other authors and share experiences with fellow bloggers.

Now for some chocolate chip questions. These are my favorite little morsels to add in!

6. If you could take a trip in a time machine, would you travel to the future or the past, and why?
Hmm…I’m torn!  I’d love to see where the world and technology are heading. But I’d also like to be in the Regency 1820’s era of England. Endless parties and balls operas and all sorts of fun things I’ve read about. So I think I need a Delorean that goes both ways! :)
 
7. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Why?
I’d be green! It’s my favorite.  

8. If you were a super hero, what super power would you have?
Being able to see the future would be great! But I’d have to not abuse it and use it too much, that might take the excitement out of life.  

9. Share one of your favorite thoughts or quotes with us.
“When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grown strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure” – Peter Marshall. I love this quote, it reminds me that it’s the journey that makes you who you are, not the destination you’re heading for. 

See! I told you guys she was awesome! So fun to get to know new writers. And Aubree, your WIP sounds really cool! So much to be curious about! I love it! Thanks again for being with us today! We're glad to get to know you better!
Hop over to THE WRITING HOUR and show Aubree why the writing community is so amazing!

35 comments:

Emily R. King said...

Leigh, I enjoyed your idea about having chocolate chip questions.
And hi Aubree! It was great to get to know you better.

J. A. Bennett said...

What a fun interview! I'll have to hop over to Aubree's blog and give her a big welcome!

Melanie Fowler said...

Fun interview, i love the little chocolate chip questions that you did, ingenious!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Great interview! Your book sounds fantastic, Aubree!

Shallee said...

Hi Aubree! Welcome to the writing side of the blogosphere. :)

And Leigh, just wanted to say thanks for the award in the last post!

Cassie Mae said...

Me and Aubree are going to Disneyland, then grabbing a car load of chocolate before we head to Harry Potter world!

Joanne said...

Thanks for the interview Leigh and Aubree. It's always nice to get a behind the scenes look at the writing life :)

Miranda Hardy said...

Nice interview. Welcome to the community Aubree.

Cristina said...

great interview. I'm off to check her blog :)

Ruth Josse said...

Great to meet you, Aubree! Your story sounds awesome!

The Writing Hour. said...

Hey that's me! :D Thanks again for the interview!

L.G.Smith said...

Nice to meet you Aubree and best of luck with the writing and the new blog. Love that quote you chose. So true.

Angela Cothran said...

I love the premise of your story Aubree :) Great interview Leigh. (For some reason I always feel like winking when I type Leigh--It's like I'm saying, "Have a good day, Clark Kent." *wink*

twentysomethingfictionwriter said...

Yeah Aubree! Great interview Leigh :)

Elana Johnson said...

Green and YA. Welcome to the dark side. Mwa ha ha!

Jessie Humphries said...

Great interview. Glad to meetcha Aubrey. I am heading over to your blog now.

Susan Fields said...

I love that quote, and Aubree's wip sounds very exciting!

Mark Noce said...

Great interview:) I just hopped on over to Aubree's site as well:)

Kelley said...

Hi Aubree! *waves*

SO nice to read all about you!:)

Thanks for sharing! Another great interview Leigh!

Coleen Patrick said...

Awesome,fun interview!

Jade Hart said...

Awesome Post Leigh :) I loved the MC names as Seraphina... love it! :) It sort of reminds me of an angel - serph, but is so much prettier. Great work :) Hoping over to Writing hour right now :)

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I would use the time machine to go forward to the next huge lotto drawing, write down the numbers, then come back and win and spend all the money on anything I wanted.

Trisha said...

Thanks for introducing us to Aubree, Leigh! Great interview. :)

I don't know if I'd want to see the future. What if you saw your own death?? ;)

Lara Schiffbauer said...

What a great interview! I thought you summarized your WIP quite well, Aubree! It sounds really interesting! :)

Jennifer Lee Young said...

I always enjoy your interviews Leigh! The chocolate chip questions are a fun too. Time to hop over to Aubree's blog! Thanks for sharing :)

Maggie said...

Basketball team crime solvers huh? Love it!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Leigh - wonderful interview as always :) And Aubree - it was great to get to know you! Good luck with your book - it sounds great!

Shelley Sly said...

This was a fun interview! :) Thanks Aubree and Leigh!

I'm a new follower here. Love your heading at the top -- so cute!

Stacy Henrie said...

Can I join you on your time travel trip to Regency England? :) Great interview!

David P. King said...

It's always super to meet another YA author. Much to learn from so many of them. Thanks for the interview, guys! That was awesomesauce! :)

Rebecca Kiel said...

Wow, writing since nine. I'll bet those were some cute stories!

Iain said...

Yet another great interview – Thanks :o)

Patricia T. said...

Really enjoyed the interview with Aubree Hale. Her book sounds very interesting and one I'd read. Enjoyed getting to meet her. Thanks Leigh.

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey,

Great interview - you have such a natural way with people - I can *so* hear your voice, it's awesome :)

I hopped over to say hi and added myself to Aubree's followers:)

eva fhadilah said...

Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Nutrisi Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Toko Obat Herbal Online
Suplemen Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Obat Herbal Pengencang Payudara Tanpa Efek Samping
Suplemen Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Herbal Penyubur Sperma
Obat Herbal Penambah Nafsu Makan
Suplemen Herbal Untuk Tulang
Cara Mengatasi Kemandulan Untuk Pria Dan Wanita
Obat Herbal Kejang-Kejang Pada Anak