Tuesday, November 29, 2011

VARIANT - by Robison Wells

Have you read VARIANT yet? It's on Amazon's Best Seller List, so it's definitely worth checking out. 

Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Blurb From Goodreads:
Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.
He was wrong.
Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.
Where breaking the rules equals death.

But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.

MY OPINION:
4 out of 5 STARS!
This was an awesome story! Seriously AWESOME, and suspenseful! I haven't read much in the sci-fi category lately, so this was different but cool. I was dying when you started to find out "who was who," and I'll leave it at that, so as not to spoil it. The only reason I gave it 4 out of 5 is because it was too slow in some parts. When I thought he should be sitting still, and plotting an escape he was actually attempting them and when I thought he should be RUNNING he wasn't. It was aggravating! But still - WORTH IT! If you haven't read this yet, be sure that it is next on your TBR list!

On a cool note... I just won this on Donna's Blog, "Weaving a Tale or Two" and I am SO EXCITED. I was going to buy it for my niece for Christmas, but now I won it for her! YAY! Love to save me some money and give a good gift at the same time!

If you've read VARIANT, what did you think of it? What are you reading right now?
Photobucket

19 comments:

Angela Cothran said...

This is for sure on my TBR list. I might just buy it for myself :) I can't get over the "Leigh" thing...it makes me laugh every time I see you like that :)

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Confession time: I only skimmed your post because I just bought this and I'm excited to read it but I hate to have anything spoiled. So THANKS for reminding me that I need to read this. SORRY I didn't actually read the post ;)

David P. King said...

This is still on my "need to finish" list. And what an awesome blog you've started here. Yeah. Very tidy. Bring on the awesomeness! :)

S.P. Bowers said...

I just started this book. We'll see how it goes.

Kelley said...

Thanks for the review.

And NICE new blog! :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

This is on my really really want for Christmas list. I can't wait to get it and I LOVE the look of the new blog, the pen name, everything.

Coleen Patrick said...

Ok just added it to my amazon wish list--it sounds great! Thanks for sharing :)

Kelly Polark said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! I hadn't heard of it til today!!!

J. A. Bennett said...

I won it from Jenny's imaginary world. I can't wait to read it!

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I just added this to my blog list. Will you still be using the old one, too?

Lynda R Young said...

I haven't read Variant yet but your review makes me want to read it :)

Cristina said...

well, since you are raving about it, I just have to add it to my list :)

Leigh Covington said...

@Angie - lol. I know! It's hard to get used to, huh?

Shelly - it's all good to only skim. I wouldn't want it ruined either! And yes, I will still use the other blog, but I think I will keep that one strictly PB stuff. :) I'll probably be here more! :)

@David - Thank you! And you definitely MUST finish it!

@Sara - can't wait to hear if you like it.

@Kelley - Thank you! :)

@Coleen - I hope you like it! I think it's a very worthwhile read!

@Tasha - THANK YOU! And I love the name of your "list!" So cool!

@Kelly - No way! Well, I hope you will read it. I think you'll enjoy it!

@Jennie - I saw that! You are so lucky! Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

@Lynda - thank you! I am glad I read it. It was awesome.

@Cristina - whoo-hoo! You definitely should :)

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I'm dying to read this one! Thanks for the awesome review! :D

E.R. King said...

Great review! This is on my TBR list.

Maggie said...

I read it yesterday--yes, the WHOLE thing, yesterday. I would give it five out of five stars. I absolutely loved it and even put it up there with Hunger Games in my opinion. My only disappointment was I didn't realize it wasn't a stand-alone book until I hit the last page. Darn, more waiting on a sequel. Great new blog!

Mark said...

Aloha, person-formally-known-as- Abby:)

Oh, confused I was, until I read the other comments, but now I gets it.... and this new site is very well done, so good job:)

PS. Mahalo for the follow and the comments re. my Lucky Charms post! (I responded to you, but I'm not sure.. do you get automatic notification?)

Anyway, bye Abby, and Hi! Leigh :)

Cortney said...

Love this new blog! And thanks for the recommendation, it sounds awesome!

eva fhadilah said...

Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Herbal Bronkitis Kronis Terbaik
Obat Pinggang Pegal Tradisional
Kopi Sehat Untuk Jantung
Obat Herbal BAB Keras Pada Anak
Suplemen Perawatan Rambut Kulit Dan Kuku
Obat Menurunkan Kadar Kolesterol Tinggi
Obat Sakit Tenggorokan Berkepanjangan
Obat Migrain Alami Herbal
Obat Herbal Kelenjar Getah Bening
Pengobatan Penyakit Radang Usus Buntu